The Major Crimes Unit handles cases involving white collar crime,
public corruption, corporate fraud, mail and wire fraud.
This Unit prosecutes crimes which jeopardize public safety: bank
robbery, carjacking, kidnapping, extortion, hate crimes, abuse of
civil rights, environmental crimes, and child pornography. The smuggling
of illegal aliens and other immigration violations are assigned
to this Unit. Each case in this area is considered for prosecution
only after investigation by a law enforcement agency, such as:
- The Federal Bureau of Investigation,
States Secret Service,
- Environmental Protection Agency,
- Internal Revenue Service,
- Department of Homeland Security (legacy Immigration and Naturalization Service),
- Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and
- Social Security Administration,
- Department of Labor,
- Department of Housing and Urban
U.S. Postal Inspection Service
- and often, local and state police departments.
Allegations about crimes should be made first to the
investigatory agencies at the website links above or to a local
police department if there is an immediate threat to public safety.