OFFICE OF THE UNITED STATES ATTORNEY
NORTHERN DISTRICT OF WEST VIRGINIA
William J. Ihlenfeld, II
UNITED STATES ATTORNEY
1125 Chapline Street, Federal Building, Suite 3000 ● Wheeling, WV 26003
(304) 234-0100 ● Contact: Fawn E. Thomas, Public Affairs Specialist
October 13, 2010
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
U. S. Attorney Ihlenfeld Announces
Senior Leadership Team
WHEELING, WEST VIRGINIA — United States Attorney William J. Ihlenfeld, II, announced the appointment of his Senior Leadership Team, which will assist him in the management of the headquarters office in Wheeling, as well as the branch offices in Clarksburg, Elkins, and Martinsburg. The new team consists of Betsy C. Jividen, First Assistant United States Attorney; Jane E. Mahlke, Chief of the Administrative Division; Helen C. Altmeyer, Chief of the Civil Division; Shawn Angus Morgan, Chief of the Criminal Division; John C. Parr, Senior Litigation Counsel; Randolph J. Bernard, Deputy Criminal Chief; and Thomas O. Mucklow, Supervisory Assistant United States Attorney.
“I’m very excited to put my leadership team into place. The individuals I have selected are both talented and experienced, and will ensure the success of the U.S. Attorney’s Office moving forward,” said Ihlenfeld. “Each of the people that I have named is committed to the mission of the office and to the mission of the Department of Justice.”
“The easiest decision I’ve made since taking office was to name Betsy Jividen as First Assistant. She has the respect of the attorneys and staff in the office, of the judiciary, and of the defense bar,” said Ihlenfeld. “Betsy is my go-to person and can be counted on to try a case, to handle an appeal, to manage the office, and everything in between.”
“As Criminal Chief Shawn Morgan will lead a division that faces many challenges, including the significant problem that exists in the Northern Panhandle with Heroin and the illegal distribution of prescription medication. A plan will be implemented to deal with these issues that will involve our federal, state and local law enforcement partners, and Shawn will use her many talents to coordinate those efforts. She will also lead a revamped financial crimes unit that will be very active in the years to come.”
“Helen Altmeyer brings a wealth of experience to the position of Civil Chief,” Ihlenfeld said. “A priority of her division will be to increase the amount of affirmative civil enforcement actions brought by the office while maintaining a heavy defensive caseload. She will shine in her new role and the entire Northern District will benefit from her leadership.”
Bios for the new leadership team:
- Jividen served as the United States Attorney from September 26, 2009, to August 10, 2010, and holds the distinction of being the longest serving Assistant United States Attorney in the Northern District of West Virginia. In addition to serving as the United States Attorney, Jividen has held the positions of Civil Chief, Senior Litigation Counsel, and First Assistant under prior administrations. She is a graduate of the West Virginia University College of Law and the University of Wisconsin.
- Mahlke has been the Administrative Officer for the United States Attorney’s Office since 1985. An integral member of the Senior Leadership Team, Mahlke is responsible for the Administrative Division overseeing budget, personnel, procurement, and day-to-day administrative functions of the office. She is a graduate of Wheeling Jesuit University.
- Altmeyer is a 21 ½ year veteran of the United States Attorney’s Office. Having worked exclusively in the Civil Division, she has in-depth experience in all areas of civil law and in representing the interests of the United States. She is a graduate of the University of Pittsburgh School of Law, and received her undergraduate degree from Villanova University.
- Morgan joined the United States Attorney’s Office in 2002 after having served as a law clerk for United States District Judge Irene M. Keeley. As an Assistant United States Attorney, she has handled a large caseload and has served as the Supervisory Assistant United States Attorney in the Clarksburg Office. She is a graduate of the West Virginia University College of Law, and received her undergraduate degree from West Virginia University.
- Parr has been an Assistant United States Attorney in the Northern District of West Virginia for eight and one-half years, and prior to that he was an Assistant in the Southern District of West Virginia for twelve years. He has served as lead Organized Crime and Drug Enforcement Task Force Attorney, and was a Criminal Chief in the Southern District. Parr is a graduate of the West Virginia University College of Law, and received his undergraduate degree from Marshall University.
- Bernard is a former agent with the Federal Bureau of Investigation and he joined the United States Attorney’s Office in July of 2002. He has successfully prosecuted hundreds of drug cases, as well as complex financial crimes. Bernard is a graduate of Ohio Northern University College of Law and received his undergraduate degree from Indiana University of Pennsylvania.
- Mucklow has served as an Assistant United States Attorney for over 28 years. During that time, Tom has handled a variety of civil and criminal cases having worked in the Elkins Branch Office, Wheeling Headquarters Office, and now in the Martinsburg Branch Office. He is a graduate of the West Virginia University College of Law, and also received his undergraduate degree from West Virginia University.
Call 1-855-WVA-FEDS or Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have information about public corruption in your community.