On Tuesday, June 5, 2018, the Department of Justice and Federal Trade Commission will hold a joint public workshop to explore competition issues in the residential real estate brokerage industry. The workshop will focus on developments since the publication of the FTC and Department’s Report on Competition in the Real Estate Brokerage Industry in 2007. Topics to be discussed include:
- existing and emerging consumer-facing platforms for accessing listings information
- availability of listings information to consumers
- regulatory and competitive hurdles facing listings platforms
- effect of listings platforms on consumers’ use of real estate services
- changes in traditional real estate broker, brokerage, and Multiple Listing Service practices
- emergence and growth of nontraditional fee and service models
- obstacles and catalysts to innovation in real estate fee structures and service models
- competitive impact of nontraditional real estate fee and service models
- effect of antitrust enforcement actions and consent decrees on competition in the residential real estate industry, and
- state licensing regimes relating to residential real estate transactions.
The DOJ and FTC invite comments from the public on competition in the residential real estate brokerage industry and the topics covered by this workshop. For further information on the workshop and the public comment process, including a list of suggested questions open for comment, please visit the FTC workshop event page. Interested parties may submit public comments online now through July 31, 2018.
This page provides information on:
For more information, please send e-mail to RealEstateworkshop@ftc.gov or contact:
Tuesday, June 5, 2018
Federal Trade Commission
The joint workshop is free and open to the public. Registration information, an agenda, directions to the FTC Conference Center, and a list of speakers will be available in the near future on the event web page. Attendees are encouraged, but not required, to register in advance for the workshop by sending an email to RealEstateWorkshop@ftc.gov. Please include “RSVP” in the subject line. Seating will be on a first-come, first-served basis.
The event will also be live streamed on the FTC’s website.
For more information, please email RealEstateWorkshop@ftc.gov.
The Real Estate Innovation Road: How Far Have We Traveled?
Listings Data, Emerging Technology, and the Structure of the Real Estate Market
Developments in Real Estate Fee and Service Models
|12:45 p.m.||Lunch Break|
Regulatory and Industry Factors Affecting Residential Real Estate Competition