What Prisoners And Families Can Do

Because of limitations imposed by the Privacy Act, 5 U.S.C. § 552a, the Department of Justice cannot provide information about individual prisoner transfer cases without a signed waiver of confidentiality from the prisoner.

This law applies whether the inquiring party is the prisoner's Congressman or family member. Occasionally, families can assist prisoners by assembling documents, such as birth certificates, passports, medical records, and the like.

Prisoners who are applying for transfer may be represented by an attorney but need not be.  The overwhelming majority of applicants to the prisoner transfer program are not represented by an attorney.

Families are free to bring pertinent matters to the attention of the Department of Justice by writing to the International Prisoner Transfer Unit.  Telephone calls should be limited to confirming that the letter has been received.

Letters may be addressed to:

United States Department of Justice
10th & Constitution Avenue, N.W.
Paula A. Wolff, Chief
International Prisoner Transfer Unit
U.S. Department of Justice, Criminal Division
OEO, JCK Building, 10th Floor
Washington, DC 20530

To authorize the Department of Justice to discuss a case with an attorney, with family members, or with others, the prisoner needs to send the International Prisoner Transfer Unit a waiver.

Download the Privay Act Waiver form in PDF.

Portable Document Format (PDF) files may be viewed with a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader

Updated June 2, 2015

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?
Yes No