Federal Protections Against National Origin and Religious Discrimination

Federal Protections Against National Origin and Religious Discrimination

Federal Protections Against National Origin and Religious Discrimination


Federal law makes it unlawful to discriminate on the basis of national origin and religion in many different areas, including federally assisted services, programs, and activities. Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, or national origin in federally assisted programs.


The Department of Justice’s Civil Rights Division provides the following information as a reminder that individuals who believe that they are a victim of discrimination based on their actual or perceived national origin or religion (or any other protected category) should contact the Division. Information regarding how to send complaints or report civil rights violations is on our website at http://www.justice.gov/crt/how-file-complaint.


You may also contact us at:

(888) 736-5551 or (202) 514-3847


U.S. Department of Justice

Civil Rights Division

950 Pennsylvania Ave., NW

Washington, D.C. 20530




Department of Justice - Office of Justice Programs, Office for Civil Rights

810 7th St., NW

Washington, D.C. 20531

Phone: (202) 307-0690

Complaint Verification Form: http://ojp.gov/about/ocr/pdfs/cvf.pdf


Federal Protections Against National Origin Discrimination (Aug. 2010), www.justice.gov/crt/publications/natorigin2.pdf; Available in the following languages in PDF: Arabic, Cambodian, Chinese, Farsi, French, Haitian Creole, Hmong, Hindi, Korean, Laotian, Punjabi, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, Urdu, and Vietnamese

Protecting the Religious Freedom of All: Federal Laws Against Religious Discrimination (Aug. 2015), www.justice.gov/crt/combating-religious-discrimination-and-protecting-religious-freedom-10


Other federal agencies also have the authority to enforce certain federal civil rights laws, such as Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. These agencies include the Department of Agriculture, Department of Education, Department of Health and Human Services, Department of Homeland Security, and the Department of Housing and Urban Development.


Department of Agriculture– Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights

1400 Independence Ave., SW

Washington, D.C. 20250

Phone: (202) 690-7442

Toll Free: (866) 632-9992

Fax: (202) 690-7442

Email: program.intake@usda.gov

Website: www.ascr.usda.gov

Complaint form: https://www.ascr.usda.gov/sites/default/files/Complain_combined_6_8_12_508_0.pdf


Department of Education – Office for Civil Rights

400 Maryland Ave., SW

Washington, D.C. 20202-1100

Phone: (800) 421-3481

Fax: (202) 453-6012

Email: ocr@ed.gov

Website: www.ed.gov/ocr 

Online Complaint Form: http://www.ed.gov/ocr/docs/howto.html


Department of Health & Human Services – Office for Civil Rights

Centralized Case Management Operations

200 Independence Ave., SW Suite 509F, HHH Building

Washington, D.C. 20201

Customer Response Center: (800) 368-1019

Fax: (202) 619-3818

TDD: (800) 537-7697

Email: OCRComplaint@hhs.gov

Website: www.hhs.gov/ocr

Online complaint portal (multiple languages): https://ocrportal.hhs.gov/ocr/smartscreen/main.jsf

Complaint form: http://www.hhs.gov/civil-rights/filing-a-complaint/complaint-process/index.html


Department of Homeland Security – Office of Civil Rights & Civil Liberties

Compliance Branch

245 Murray Lane, SW Building 410, Mail Stop #0190

Washington, D.C. 20528

Phone: (202) 401-1474

Toll Free: (866) 644-8360

TTY: (202) 401-0470

Toll Free TTY: (866) 644-8361

Fax: (202) 401-4708

Email: CRCLCompliance@hq.dhs.gov

Website: http://www.dhs.gov/office-civil-rights-and-civil-liberties

Complaint forms (multiple languages): http://www.dhs.gov/publication/file-civil-rights-complaint


Department of Housing and Urban Development– Fair Housing & Equal Opportunity

451 7th St. SW

Washington, D.C. 20410

Phone: (800) 669-9777

TTY Phone: (800) 927-9275

Email: fheo_webmanager@hud.gov

Regional Offices: http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/fair_housing_equal_opp/fheodir

Website: http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/fair_housing_equal_opp

Online Complaint form: http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/fair_housing_equal_opp/online-complaint


Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?
Yes No