LGBTQI+ Working Group
Welcome from the LGBTQI+ Working Group Chairs
The LGBTQI+ Working Group is comprised of attorneys and other staff from all eleven of the Division's Sections, as well as members of the Division's leadership. The Working Group:
- advises the Division's leadership and Sections within the Division on legal and policy issues relating to discrimination based on sexual orientation, gender identity, intersex status, and HIV/AIDS status;
- explores how existing federal civil rights laws enforced by the Division can address discrimination experienced by LGBTQI+ individuals, and identifies appropriate matters and cases for the Division;
- provides technical assistance to other Department of Justice components and other federal agencies;
- regularly conducts outreach to the LGBTQI+ community and other relevant stakeholders; and
- assists the Division and the Department of Justice with various diversity and education initiatives.
This website contains updated public information, including press releases and case-related documents, that demonstrate the Division's commitment to protecting the civil rights of LGBTQI+ individuals and persons with HIV/AIDS.
We hope this website will serve as a useful resource for members of the LGBTQI+ community and other individuals facing discrimination based on their actual or perceived sexual orientation, gender identity, intersex status, or HIV/AIDS status. We invite you to contact us by emailing the LGBTQI+ Working Group's email address at CRT-LGBTQI@usdoj.gov.
David Knight, Trial Attorney, Disability Rights Section
Brandy Wagstaff, Attorney Advisor, Criminal Section
LGBTQI+ Working Group Chairs