Date: September 2, 1999
Subject: Consent Decree in the Publidc Eye Case/Press Conference
To: Veronica F. Coleman, United States Attorney
From: Gary A. Vanasek and Harriett Halmon
Assistant U.S. Attorneys
- The owner of the Public Eye, Mr. Mitch Goldberg, will:
- Create a barrier free entrance to the restaurant at the south end of the building, which will require a three foot ramp to overcome a step approximately 3.5 inches.
- Provide appropriate signage at both entrances indicating the location of the accessible entrance.
- Construct a ramp to overcome a six inch step separating dining areas within the restaurant.
- Make renovations to the men's restroom to make it accessible and to convert it to a unisex restroom for use by females in privacy.
- Relocate the public telephone to a height so that it is usable by a person with a disability.
- Provide menus in braille or alternatively recorded on cassette tape and shall provide training to all employees on the accessible features of the restaurant and on providing assistance to individuals with disabilities as requested.
- Pay $1000.00 to the United States as a penalty.
- The parent company of the owner of the building, Southland Capital Corporation, will:
- Restripe three accessible parking spaces in the parking lot immediately behind the Public Eye.
- The owner of the building, Overton Square Investors, LLC and/or its parent corporation Southland Capital Corporation will:
- Make a $5,000.00 contribution to Memphis/ADAPT, an advocacy organization.
- Evict the Public Eye in the event Mr. Goldberg fails to remove the barriers to access as specified above within the time frames provided in the order and before reopening the premises as a place of public accommodation ensure that all requirements of Title III of the ADA are met.
Updated August 6, 2015