Law Enforcement Affairs is one of the leadership support offices within the U.S. Department of Justice and operates out of the Office of the Deputy Attorney General. Law Enforcement Affairs represents the Department’s leadership by communicating and liaising with major federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial law enforcement organizations, as well as state, local, tribal, and territorial law enforcement agencies. Law Enforcement Affairs primary responsibility is to maintain, build, and strengthen mutually beneficial relationships with those organizations and agencies. The major responsibilities of Law Enforcement Affairs are as follows:
- Advise Department Leadership - Advise the Attorney General, Deputy Attorney General, Associate Attorney General, and other Department leadership regarding state, local, tribal, and territorial law enforcement issues.
- Coordination - Ensure the prompt and efficient exchange of information between the Department and state, local, tribal, and territorial law enforcement matters; serve as the principal liaison between the Department and law enforcement professionals.
- Promotion of Department Priorities - Improve awareness of, and involvement in, the Department’s work; educate the law enforcement community on Department policies, initiatives, and programs to ensure clarity, accuracy, and understanding of the Department’s perspective.
- Engagement - Maintain understanding of state, local, tribal, and territorial law enforcement agency priorities and provide information and guidance to those groups regarding Department resources; and facilitate communication with Department leadership offices and other agencies surrounding mutual as well as adverse goals.
- Creation of Strong and Active Partnerships - Promote an integrated national approach between the Department, federal law enforcement agencies, and state, local, tribal, and territorial law enforcement; and ensure communication and coordination on priority issues.
- Outreach - Develop targeted outreach, communication, education, and coordination plans and partnerships for Department initiatives and programs; and facilitate Department leadership meetings and outreach around the country.
Contact the Office of Law Enforcement Affairs by email at LEA@usdoj.gov