Failure to follow the guidelines listed below may result in the rejection of your submitted document filing. If your submission is rejected, you will be notified by mail.
Please note EOIR cannot provide technical support at this time. If you have questions, please contact the EOIR Office of Policy, Communications and Legislative Affairs Division at PAO.EOIR@usdoj.gov
All BIA filers:
- Through email, the BIA will only accept Briefs, Motions to Accept Late Filed Brief, Motions for Summary Affirmance, and, if new to the case, courtesy copies of the Form EOIR-27. Please also submit Form EOIR-27’s electronically through EOIR’s Courts & Appeals System.
- Failure to follow the guidelines listed below may result in the rejection of your submitted document filing. If your submission is rejected, you will be notified by mail with a request to correct the issue and refile the document.
- The subject of your email must state Brief, the alien registration number, and the detention status (i.e. Detained or Non-Detained).
Example: A filer submitting a brief to BIA with alien registration number 012345678 that is currently detained would input, "Brief - 012345678 - Detained" in the subject line of the email.
- While multiple documents for the same case may be submitted in one email, do not combine separate submissions into one file. Each document type must be submitted separately and include the type of filing in the file name. For instance, a Motion to Accept Late Filed Brief and a Brief must be separate files.
- You remain responsible for service on the opposing party.
- Submit certificate of service with every filing in the same email.
- Electronic filings are limited to those types outlined above and must meet the requirements for electronic filings outlined in the Immigration Court Practice Manual, where applicable, and BIA Practice Manual. Further, an electronically filed document cannot be larger than 25 megabytes (MB). For submissions that would be larger than 25 MB, please follow the below steps:
- Split the document into multiple files so no portion is larger than 25 MB;
- Name each document to make it clear they should be matched with the other portions. Example: Append the file name (see file naming conventions below) with _Part1 and _Part2.
- Files must be a minimum resolution of 300dpi.
- File formats accepted are PDF. The BIA does not accept other file formats.
- Do not include links to non-EOIR websites in your submissions.
- Filings with more than one page must include page numbers.
- If scanning and attaching a document, pages must appear right-side-up.
- The filing party must maintain the originals of any documents that are electronically filed and must make the originals available for production, if so ordered, or for inspection upon request by a party.
Attorneys and fully-accredited representatives
- Name your file with the last four digits of your client’s alien registration number, your EOIR ID, and the type of filing (i.e., Brief, EOIR27, Motion to Accept Late Brief, or Motion for Summary Affirmance).. Be sure to include “Part” and relevant number if the file must be split into more than one part to avoid exceeding the 25MB per file limit.
Example: Attorney Johnson, EOIRID 1234ABC, with client 012345678, filing a multi-part brief in a file larger than 25 MB would name the document: 5678_1234ABC_Brief_Part1 and 5678_1234ABC_Brief_Part2
Example: Submitting a Motion to Accept Late Filed Brief with the file name 5678_1234ABC_MotionToAcceptLateBrief
- Name your file with the last four digits of your alien registration number and your last name as it appears on your immigration court documents, and the type of filing (i.e., Brief, EOIR27, Motion to Accept Late Brief, or Motion for Summary Affirmance).
Example: Jane Smith, alien registration number 876543210, filing a brief, would name the document: 3210_Smith_Brief
Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
- Name your file with the last four digits of the alien registration number, DHS, and the type of filing (i.e., Brief, EOIR27, Motion to Accept Late Brief, or Motion for Summary Affirmance)..
Example: When DHS is filing a Brief for alien registration number 123456789 the name of the document would be: 6789_DHS_Brief
Email Addresses for the BIA:
For detained briefs filed at BIA: BIA.Detained.Briefs@usdoj.gov
For non-detained briefs filed at BIA: BIA.NonDetained.Briefs@usdoj.gov