Houston Immigration Court

Houston Immigration Court

Welcome to the Houston Immigration Court!

The Houston Immigration Court falls under the jurisdiction of the Office of the Chief Immigration Judge which is a component of the Executive Office for Immigration Review under the Department of Justice.

Our court has made a commitment to provide access to information through the Internet in order to service the needs of the public.

Our goal is to provide the most current and accurate information available to those needing to appear before an Immigration Judge and to provide this information in a user-friendly fashion.

Please note: The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR) are separate organizations.

About the Court

The Houston Immigration Court has five sitting Immigration Judges. The Court is located on the southeast side of the Federal Building.

The Court is open to receive documents for filing from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and on Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. The window is closed from 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. for filings.

To contact the Court, call 713-718-3870 between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. For information after hours, call the automated system at 1-800-898-7180.


Visitor Information

The Houston Immigration Court is located at 600 Jefferson Street, Suite 900 Houston, Texas 77002-7335. All persons entering the Court are required to pass through a magnetometer. The Court is located on the second floor.

For your convenience, public restrooms are located on the first and second floor. Public telephones and vending machines are located in the first floor lounge.


Following are directions to the Immigration Court - Houston, Texas. For your convenience, we have also provided a link to a free mapping service.

Directions from Interstate 10 East:

Merge onto I-10 East. Take the I-45 South exit, exit number 768B, on the left towards Galveston.

Take the Mc Kinney exit, exit number 47C, on the left. Merge onto Mc Kinney Street. Turn right onto Fannin Street. Turn left onto Webster Street. Turn right onto La Branch Street. The Court is located at 2320 La Branch across from the post office.

Directions from U.S. 59 North:

Merge onto U.S. 59 North. Take the exit towards Gray Ave/Pierce Ave. Turn left onto Gray Street. Turn left onto La Branch Street. The Court is located at 2320 La Branch across from the post office.


Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What are the Court's hours of operation?
A: The Court is open to receive documents for filing from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and on Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

The window is closed from 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. for filings. The Court is open until 4:30 p.m. for all other purposes. The Court does not have a drop box for after hours filing. To contact the Court, call 713-718-3870.

Q: What do I do if I don't remember the date and/or time of my hearing?
A: Please call 1-800-898-7180. This is an automated system that allows you to obtain information about your case. You must have your file number ready. The file number is printed on all Department of Homeland Security and Court correspondence.

Q: How do I find my courtroom?
A: Immigration Courtrooms are located on the 9th floor of 600 Jefferson Street, Suite 900. The Court Calendars for each Judge are posted in the reception area. These calendars contain the names and file numbers of everyone who is scheduled for a hearing that day, as well as the name of the Judge presiding over your case. Once you have located your name on the calendar, please enter the courtroom for your hearing. If you do not find your name on the calendar, go directly to the filing window and ask for assistance.

Q: What do I do when I arrive at my courtroom?
A: If you are there for your first hearing, which is called a master calendar hearing, you will encounter many other people in that room who are also scheduled for a hearing. Have a seat in the Courtroom and wait until the legal clerk calls your case.

Q: What if I don't have a lawyer with me?
A: YOU MUST COME TO YOUR HEARING ANYWAY. If this is your first master calendar hearing, and you do not have a lawyer, do not worry. The Judge will advise you of your rights and will allow you an opportunity to obtain a lawyer at your own expense if you so desire. You should have already obtained a List of Legal Aide Organizations. If you do have this list, ask the Judge or Court personnel for a copy.

Q: Do I have to have a lawyer?
A: No. You may elect to proceed without a lawyer if you choose to do so. However, it is strongly recommended that you retain or at least consult with a lawyer prior to your hearing. The Department of Homeland Security will have an attorney present to represent them.

Q: Will there be an interpreter present if I don't speak English?
A: At your first master calendar hearing, it is likely that there will be a Spanish interpreter available to translate for you. After your first hearing, the Court will arrange for a certified interpreter in your native language to be available at any subsequent hearings.

Q: How do I notify the Court if I change my address or move out of the state?
A: You must notify the Court of any change of address while under proceedings. Form EOIR-33, which is the form used to notify the Court of change of address can be obtained from the clerk. This form must be submitted within five days from the date of your move. If you move out of the jurisdiction of the Houston Court, you may request a "Change of Venue" from the Judge. However, until the Judge grants your request, you are required to appear at all scheduled hearings before the Court.

Q: What will happen at my hearing?
A: Whether you proceed with or without a lawyer, the Judge will advise you of your rights. The Judge will advise you that you will have a reasonable opportunity to examine and object to the evidence against you, to present evidence on your own behalf, and to cross examine witnesses presented by the government. The Judge will place you under oath and read the factual allegations and the charges in the Notice to Appear (NTA) and explain them to you. Additionally, the Judge will ask you whether or not the factual allegations contained in the NTA are true. If the charge against you is not conceded, the Judge will conduct a hearing to determine if the charge is true or false. If the charge is true, the Judge will advise you of any discretionary relief that may be available and allow you an opportunity to submit the appropriate applications for relief.

Q: Will my application require a fee?
A: With the exception of asylum applications, most applications for relief require a fee. Please see the standard fee schedule for details at 8 C.F.R. § 103.7. The regulations provide that if you are unable to afford the fee for an application -- cancellation of removal, for example -- you can request a waiver from the Immigration Judge. The procedures for requesting a fee waiver are found at 8 C.F.R. § 103.7(c).

Q: What will happen at the conclusion of my hearing?
A: The Judge will enter a decision in your case which may be oral or written. An oral decision will be given at the conclusion of your hearing. A written decision will be sent to you by mail. You will have the opportunity to appeal any decision if you so choose. If you disagree with the decision, form EOIR 26 (Notice of Appeal) must be received by the Board of Immigration Appeals within 30 days of the Judge's decision.

Q: How do I request a tape of the proceedings or review a file?
A: Requests to review a file can be made in person or in writing as long as the following requirements are met: a) you are the respondent, b) you are the attorney/representative of record for the respondent; or c) you have the written permission of the respondent to review the record. Requests for copies of hearing tapes must be made in writing and must adhere to the requirements above.

Q: What will happen if I leave the country while my case/appeal is pending?
A: If you depart the United States after filing an appeal, but prior to the decision, the departure will be deemed a withdrawal of the appeal. Therefore, the Judge's decision will become final. If your case is pending, you should consult with your attorney or representative before making any departures. Under certain circumstances you may be able to obtain advance parole that will allow you to depart the United States for a limited purpose.

Q: Where do I pay fees for applications?
A: The Immigration Court does not accept fees for applications. All application fees are paid to the Department of Homeland Security, USCIS Texas Service Center, P.O. Box 852463, Mesquite, Texas 75185-2463. If you have questions about fees or service of documents, call 1-800-375-5283.

Q: May I speak to the Judge about my case outside the courtroom?
A: The Judges do not speak to individual respondents about their case outside the courtroom. The respondent should consult with his/her attorney.

Q: May I bring my children to Court with me?
A: If the children are not in proceedings, it is recommended that you make arrangements for them to stay at home.


Courtroom Etiquette

The Immigration Judges in Houston encourage all of those appearing before them to familiarize themselves with the Immigration Court Practice Manual and to be prepared and ready to go forward with the case on the day of the hearing.


Please read our Privacy and Security Notice

Updated January 4, 2016