New York City Immigration Court

New York, New York

Welcome to the New York City Immigration Court!

The New York City Immigration Court falls under the jurisdiction of the Office of the Chief Immigration Judge which is a component of the Executive Office for Immigration Review under the Department of Justice.

Our court has made a commitment to provide access to information through the Internet in order to service the needs of the public.

Our goal is to provide the most current and accurate information available to those needing to appear before an Immigration Judge and to provide this information in a user-friendly fashion.

Please note: The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR) are separate organizations.

About the Court

The New York Immigration Court has one of the largest caseloads nationwide. The population status of the caseload is non-detained.

In addition to determining whether individuals are admissible (i.e., should be permitted to enter the United States) or deportable (i.e., should be removed from the United States), the Immigration Judges have jurisdiction to consider applications for various forms of relief from removal. These include applications for such relief as asylum, adjustment of status, cancellation of removal and waivers of inadmissibility.


Visitor Information

26 Federal Plaza is located on Broadway between Worth and Duane Streets. It is the largest federal office building in the world. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and the Immigration Court are two of the government offices located there.

To contact the Court, call 917-454-1040. For information after hours regarding application deadlines or hearing dates and times, call the Immigration Court's automated system at 1-800-898-7180.

For your convenience, PUBLIC RESTROOMS are located on the 12th floor. PUBLIC TELEPHONES are located in the main lobby and throughout the building.


Following are directions to the Immigration Court - New York, New York. For your convenience, we have also provided a link to a free mapping service.

Public transportation is available by taking the New York City subway-trains 1, 2, 3, A or C to the Chambers Street Station, trains N or R to the City Hall Station or trains M, 4, 5 or 6 to the Brooklyn Bridge Station.

When you have an immigration court hearing, you must enter on the north side of the building at the BROADWAY entrance.

Lines are often long, so arrive early, at least 1 hour before your appointment. You must have your Notice to Appear (NTA), or your Immigration Court Hearing Notice to enter the building. If your NTA, or your Immigration Court Hearing Notice is misplaced, you will be required to enter the building at the BROADWAY STREET entrance.

This will take a substantially longer period of time to gain admission to the building. Upon entering the building, you will be required to go through a security checkpoint as well as a metal detector.

Additional Information


Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What are the Court's hours of operation?
A: The Immigration Court is open from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. All filings are accepted at the 12th floor filing window, room 1237. The filing hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Q: What do I do if I don't remember the date and/or time of my hearing?
A: Please call 1-800-898-7180. This is an automated system that allows you to obtain information about your case.

Q: How do I find my courtroom at 26 Federal Plaza?
A: Immigration Courtrooms are located on the 12th and 14th floors of 26 Federal Plaza. In the lobby, there is more than one set of elevators. Look for the elevator bank marked 1-12 or 12-21 and take it to the 12th floor. Once on the 12th floor, you will immediately see the signs for the Immigration Court. Head toward the main scheduling board located in the hallway outside of the main waiting room. There you will find the Court Calendars posted. These calendars contain the names and Alien numbers of everyone who is scheduled for a hearing that day, as well as the name of the Immigration Judge presiding over your case. There are thirty-two courtrooms located amongst the 12th and 14th floors. Courtrooms 1-15 are located on the 14th floor, courtrooms 16-32 are located on the 12th floor. Also located on the 12th floor is the ceremonial courtroom. Once you have located your name on the scheduling board, proceed to the appropriate courtroom for your hearing. If you do not find your name on the scheduling board, go directly to the main window on the 12th floor and ask the clerk for assistance.

Q: What do I do when I arrive at my courtroom?
A: If you are there for your first hearing, which is called a master calendar hearing, you will encounter many other people in that room who are also scheduled for a hearing. Check in with the Clerk, who is seated next to the Immigration Judge and show the clerk your Notice to Appear (NTA) or give the clerk your Alien Number. The clerk will record that you are present and ask you to have a seat and wait until the Judge calls your case.

Q: What if I don't have a lawyer with me?
A: YOU MUST COME TO YOUR HEARING ANYWAY. If this is your first master calendar hearing, and you do not have a lawyer, do not worry. The Immigration Judge will answer all of your questions and allow you an opportunity to obtain a lawyer at your own expense. You should have already obtained a List of Free Legal Service Providers from the Department of Homeland Security, for those individuals who can not afford a lawyer. If you did not receive, or lost this list, the Judge will provide you with another copy. In addition, if you need to consult with a free attorney or representative, the Immigration Judge may advise you to consult with someone from the Immigration Representation Project (IRP) which is located in the pro bono room on the 12th floor of 26 Federal Plaza. Also, the Court will advise you as to the hours that someone from the IRP is available to meet with you.

Q: Do I have to have a lawyer?
A: No. You may elect to proceed without a lawyer if you choose to do so. However, the Department of Homeland Security will have a trial attorney present to represent them.

Q: I'm a pro bono attorney. Where can I find information about guidelines for pro bono representation?
A: Please consult Operating Policies and Procedures Memorandum (OPPM) 08-01: Guidelines for Facilitating Pro Bono Legal Services.

Q: Will there be an interpreter present if I don't speak English?
A: At your first master calendar hearing, it is likely that there will be an interpreter available to translate for you. However, depending on the language and/or dialect you speak, the Immigration Judge may have to adjourn your case in order to obtain an interpreter. If possible, you may want to bring a relative or friend who can translate into English for you. After your first hearing, the Court will ensure that a certified interpreter in your native language will be available at any subsequent hearings.

Q: How do I notify the Court if I change my address or move out of the state?
A: You must notify the Court of any change of address while under proceedings. Form EOIR-33, which is the form used to notify the Court of change of address can be obtained from the clerk or the Immigration Judge. This form must be submitted within five days from the date of your move. If you move out of state, you may request a "Change of Venue" from the Immigration Judge. However, until the Immigration Judge grants your request, you are required to appear at all scheduled hearings before the Court.

Q: What will happen at my hearing?
A: Whether you proceed with or without a lawyer, the Immigration Judge will advise you of your rights. The Judge will advise you that you will have a reasonable opportunity to examine and object to the evidence against you, to allow you to present evidence on your own behalf, and to cross examine witnesses presented by the government. The Judge will place you under oath and read the factual allegations and the charges in the Notice to Appear (NTA) and explain them to you. Additionally, the Judge will ask you whether or not the factual allegations contained in the NTA are true. If removability is not conceded, the Immigration Judge will conduct a hearing to determine the issue of removability. Once removability is established, the Immigration Judge will advise you of any discretionary relief that may be available and allow you an opportunity to submit the appropriate applications for relief.

Q: Will my application require a fee?
A: Most applications for relief require a fee, with the exception of asylum. Please see the standard fee schedule for details. Under certain circumstances, if you can not afford the fee, a fee-waiver request may be granted by the Immigration Judge.

Q: Where can I get immigration forms?
A: To obtain immigration forms, you can go to our website at, and click on "Forms," or use the website of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) at, and click on "Forms." In addition, many forms are available in the USCIS office located on the 1st floor of 26 Federal Plaza, Room 102. You can also call the USCIS National Service Center at 1-800-375-5283 to have forms sent to you by mail.

Q: What will happen at the conclusion of my hearing?
A: The Immigration Judge will enter a decision in your case which may be oral or written. If oral, it will be presented at the conclusion of your hearing. If written, it will be sent to you in the mail. Either way, the decision shall contain reasons for granting or denying any relief requested. You will have the opportunity to appeal this decision if you so choose. If you wish to appeal, form EOIR 26 (Notice to Appeal) should be filed within 30 days.

Q: What will happen if I leave the country while my case/appeal is pending?
A: Under most circumstances, if you depart the United States after filing an appeal, but prior to the decision, the departure will be deemed a withdrawal of the appeal. Therefore, the Judge's decision will become final. If your case is pending, you should consult with your attorney or representative before making any departures. Under certain circumstances you may be able to obtain permission from the Department of Homeland Security to allow you to depart the United States and return within a specified period of time.

Q: How can I get information about the asylum clock?
A: Please call 1-800-898-7180. This is an automated system that allows you to obtain information about your case, including the asylum clock.

Q: Is the Court open during inclement weather?
A: The court may close or have a delayed opening in extremely inclement weather. For a recorded message regarding delays or closures, please call 212-602-2775 prior to your hearing. You can also visit the home page of our website at for information about closures and delayed openings.


Courtroom Etiquette

  • Arrive Early
  • Bring Your Notice to Appear (NTA) or hearing notice
  • Even if you do not have a lawyer, you must go to your hearing to avoid an order being entered against you in your absence
  • All documents must be filed at 26 Federal Plaza, Room 1237 in accordance with the Immigration Court Practice Manual. This includes EOIR 33's (change of address forms)
  • If you and other family members received Notices to Appear (NTA) for the same date, you
    must ALL attend the hearing
  • Use of cellular phones, pagers and cameras are prohibited in the courtrooms as well as the reception area
  • Federal regulations prohibit the use of recording devices in the courtrooms
  • Food/Beverages are prohibited in the courtrooms as well as the reception area

Please read our Privacy and Security Notice

Updated January 5, 2016