The United States Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of Iowa employs 27 Assistant United States Attorneys. The District’s headquarters office is located in Des Moines. The District has staffed branch offices in Davenport and Council Bluffs, which serve the District’s eastern and western divisions.
Assistant United States Attorneys in the Southern District of Iowa handle a wide variety of complex cases, including drug trafficking and money laundering crimes, terrorism-related offenses, firearms and other violent crime offenses (including under the Department’s Project Safe Neighborhoods and Project Safe Childhood initiatives), cyber-crimes, environmental crimes, immigration crimes and a variety of financial fraud and white-collar offenses. This vacancy is in the Criminal Division.
Conditions of Employment:
- You must be a United States Citizen.
- Background Investigation, credit and tax checks, and drug test required.
- You must be registered for Selective Service, if applicable.
- J.D. degree and active member of the bar (any U.S. jurisdiction) required.
- Residency Requirements: Assistant United States Attorneys generally must reside in the district to which he or she is appointed or within 25 miles thereof. See 28 U.S.C. 545 for district-specific information.
- Selective Service: If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, you must certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System, or are exempt from having to do so under the Selective Service Law. See www.sss.gov.
Required qualifications: Applicants must possess a J.D. degree, be an active member of the bar (any jurisdiction), and have at least one year post-J.D. legal or other relevant experience. At least three years of post-J.D. litigation experience is preferred.
Preferred qualifications: Applicants must demonstrate a quick analytical ability and the ability to accurately and precisely articulate the critical issues in a case. Applicants must demonstrate superior oral and writing skills as well as strong research and interpersonal skills, and good judgment. Applicants must possess excellent communication and courtroom skills and exhibit the ability to work in a supportive and professional manner with other attorneys, support staff, law enforcement, and client agencies. Applicants must have a demonstrated capacity to function, with minimal guidance, in a highly demanding environment.
Applicants should send a resume and Attorney Questionnaire to: USAIAS.Applications@usdoj.gov. Please send entire application package in one pdf file. If you are currently an attorney with a federal agency, please include a copy of your most recent SF 50-B, Notification of Personnel Action.
No telephone calls please. Applications must be received by the closing date of February 10, 2019.
Security Requirements: Initial appointment is conditioned upon a satisfactory preemployment adjudication. This includes fingerprint and credit checks, and drug testing. In addition, continued employment is subject to a favorable adjudication of a background investigation. All initial attorney appointments to the Department of Justice are made on a 14 month (temporary) basis pending favorable adjudication of a background investigation.
Internet Sites: More information about the Southern District of Iowa may be found at: https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdia. This and other attorney vacancy announcements can be found at: http://www.justice.gov/careers/legal/attvacancies.html.