The Executive Office for United States Attorneys (EOUSA) was rated in the top 55 of 300 agency sub-components and deemed one of the best places to work. For more information, visit http://data.bestplacestowork.org/bptw/index.
The General Counsel's Office (GCO) is a component of the EOUSA in the Department of Justice and is responsible for providing a full range of legal advice and services to the 94 United States Attorneys' Offices (USAOs) throughout the United States, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands. If you are looking for an exciting and challenging career, this is the position for you.
GCO provides timely and accurate legal advice and litigation support to USAOs and EOUSA on a wide range of legal issues including disciplinary or adverse actions, performance management issues, and any other employment-related issues; litigation before various administrative tribunals; government ethics matters, such as conflicts of interest, recusals, outside activities, and financial disclosure reports; questions concerning recusals of USAOs from pending cases or matters; property damage claims filed by Federal employees; and procurement and fiscal law issues.
GCO is a very dynamic and fast paced office. The individual selected can expect a challenging and demanding environment and will be exposed to management concerns and top management officials within EOUSA and throughout the entire Department of Justice.
The office is ideally situated among three Metro stations, one block from the Verizon Center, a short walk to the Smithsonian museums on the National Mall, and is surrounded by numerous restaurants and shops. In addition, we offer creative work solutions in which we provide compressed work schedules and flexible work schedules, along with transit subsidy.
If selected for this position you will serve as an Attorney Advisor (Assistant General Counsel) and will be responsible for:
- Providing expert advice to the United States Attorneys and their staff in the interpretation, intent, and applicability of Federal laws, regulations, and programs in the assigned area(s) of law.
Drafting interpretative and administrative rules, regulations and other guidance in assigned area(s) of law
- Responsibility for advising on questions of law involved in the operations of the organization and its contacts with industry, State, local or foreign governments, or other similar organizational entities.
- Initiating and maintaining liaison and effective communications with EOUSA management, United States Attorneys and their staff, Department officials and other federal agencies.
- Representing the agency in administrative litigation and other proceedings and assist in Federal court proceedings.
Applicants MUST possess a J.D. Degree and
- Be an active member of the bar* (any jurisdiction).
*You must include your bar membership information in your application package to be considered.
To qualify at the GS-15 grade level applicants must have at least 5 years post J.D. legal or other relevant experience to qualify. Qualifying experience is defined as experience with at least three of the following areas: Standards of Conduct and Ethics, Federal Employment Law, Equal Employment Law, and/or Administrative Law
You must apply on-line on USAJOBS at the following link: