This position is located in Falls Church, VA, at the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA) for Executive Office for Immigration Review, U. S. Department of Justice. The BIA's primary mission is that of producing authoritative administrative case law in the form of BIA decisions, interpreting the immigration laws and laying down guidelines for the exercise of the Attorney General's delegated administrative discretion. In addition, the BIA has appellate jurisdiction over essentially all decisions of Immigration Judges and certain decisions of DHS officers.
- Reviewing and analyzing records of administrative proceedings
- Conducting needed legal research
- Drafting formal appellate orders for consideration by the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA)
- Evaluating administrative records of proceedings
- Assessing whether administrative discretion was exercised properly
- Recommending a formal legal disposition of appeals or motions under review
In order to qualify for the Attorney Advisor (Immigration) position, you must meet the following minimum qualifications:
Must possess a Bachelor of Law (LL.B) or Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree.
Must be an active member of the bar in good standing, duly licensed and authorized to practice law as an attorney under the laws of a U.S. state, territory, or the District of Columbia. (You must include your date of admission to the bar in your resume.)
Must have a minimum of two (2) years of professional legal experience, post J.D. to qualify for the position.
Applicants must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
You must submit a complete application package by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement.
* To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire, which can be previewed here: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10260123.
* Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package.
* It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
* To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
* To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package by the closing date of this announcement, which includes:
1. Your Resume showing relevant experience; cover letter optional
2. A complete Assessment Questionnaire
3. Transcripts (include your name, college name/address, type of degree, major, date degree conferred, courses, grades, semester/quarter hours, G.P.A. etc.)
4. Proof of active bar membership
5. A writing sample of no more than 10 pages
6. Quality Ranking Factors - submit a separate document - Please see "How You Will Be Evaluated"
7. Other supporting documents (submit if applicable to you):
- CTAP/ICTAP documents
- Veterans' documentation (DD-214 (Member 4 copy), dated VA Letter, SF-15)
Note: Please ensure that your resume contains your full name, address, phone number, employment information such as: Employer name and location; From and to dates (or from date to present for current position), which include the month and year for each description of experience, with grade level held, if applicable, education, training etc.