While this vacancy announcement expires on July 12, 2019, the announcement may be closed at any time if a selection is made. This assignment is for a period of at least 14 months, beginning in or about August 2019, with the possibility of extension, contingent on the availability of funding. Appointment to this position will be effected by detail appointment.
The mission of the Criminal Division's Office of Overseas Prosecutorial Development Assistance and Training (OPDAT) is to develop and administer technical and developmental assistance designed to enhance the capabilities of foreign justice sector institutions and their law enforcement personnel. This assistance is administered in order to enable those institutions and their personnel to more effectively combat terrorism, organized crime, corruption, financial crimes and other types of crime in a manner consistent with the rule of law. The assistance is also administered to enable those institutions and their personnel to more effectively cooperate regionally and with the United States in combating such crime. http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/opdat.
The Resident Legal Advisor (RLA) will be assigned to the United States Embassy in Pristina, Kosovo, representing the Department of Justice and OPDAT in the implementation of a criminal justice sector development program for the government of Kosovo. The applicant selected for this position will fill one of two RLA positions in Kosovo. The primary objectives of this program are to strengthen the investigative, prosecutorial, and judicial institutions within Kosovo to achieve the effective, efficient, and fair administration of justice. The RLA will develop capacity building programs and mentor justice sector personnel with a focus on combatting corruption and transnational organized crime. The RLA will also work closely with the Kosovo Prosecutorial Council and Judicial Council in addition to other government institutions, such as the Ministries of Justice, Interior, and Finance, and independent agencies. This position will promote interagency coordination and communication among those institutions participating in rule of law development efforts. The RLA will be expected to provide analysis of and advice on legislation including the criminal code, criminal procedure code, and other laws and regulations, with the goal of strengthening compliance with international standards and norms. The position may involve coordination with other OPDAT assistance programs in the region.
Required: To qualify for this position, applicants must possess ALL of the requirements below:
- Have a J.D. degree; be duly licensed and authorized to practice as an attorney under the laws of any State, territory of the United States, or the District of Columbia, and be an active member of the bar in good standing.
- Specific grade level requirements:
- GS-15: At least four (4) years of post J.D. legal experience, to include four (4) years of prosecutorial experience in Article III courts or comparable state level courts.
- GS-14: At least three (3) years of post J.D. legal experience, to include three (3) years of prosecutorial experience in Article III courts or comparable state level courts.
Applicants must have, or be able to obtain through their Component/Agency, and maintain a Top Secret security clearance.
Preferred: Experience in the following areas is desired but not required: working in an Embassy and/or overseas environment; working on cases with international dimensions; prior anti-corruption work; and familiarity with criminal justice systems in Eastern Europe.
The successful applicant should also have:
- Ability to function effectively in an international, multi-cultural environment;
- Excellent interpersonal and management skills;
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing;
- Extensive prosecution experience; and
- Experience in bar activities, teaching, designing course curricula, and/or work with international development projects.
While this vacancy announcement expires on July 12, 2019, the announcement may be closed at any time if a selection is made. The Application Package must be received by 11:59 PM, Eastern Time, on the closing date of this announcement.
All interested attorneys meeting these qualifications should submit a cover letter and resume to OPDATDetails.CEE@USDOJ.GOV.