If you are looking for an exciting and challenging career, this is the position for you! With a diverseand talented workforce of over 100,000 men and women,Justice leads the Nation in ensuring the protection of all Americans while preserving their constitutional freedoms. You will be part of a dedicated team helping to enforce Federal criminal and civil laws that protect life, liberty and the property of citizens.
The General Counsel's Office (GCO) is a critical component of the EOUSA in the Department of Justice, responsible for providing a full range of legal advice and services to the 94 United States Attorneys' Offices (USAOs) throughout the United States, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands.
The new office location as of March 2018 is ideally situated steps from the NoMa - Galludet U. redline metro station, and issurrounded by numerous restaurants and shops. In addition, we offer creative work solutions in which we may provide compressed or flexible work schedules, telework, and transit subsidy.
For more information on the Department of Justice and the United States Attorneys' Offices, visit www.justice.gov/usao/.
If selected for this position you will serve as a Supervisory Attorney Advisor in one of the two Deputy General Counsel positions for the EOUSA GCO. You will exercise a broad range of supervisory responsibilities over a staff of senior attorney advisors and support personnel responsible for carrying out the functions of the office.
In addition to your supervisory duties, you will be responsible for:
- Advising the General Counsel; the Director, EOUSA; and Senior Staff in EOUSA and DOJ on various legal matters.
- Serving as a liaison between Department of Justice components and the U.S. Attorneys' offices.
- Providing expert advice to the EOUSA Director and EOUSA Staff, and the United States Attorneys and their staff, in the interpretation, intent, and applicability of Federal laws, regulations, and programs in the assigned area(s) of law.
- Overseeing the drafting of legal opinions, interpretative and administrative rules,regulations and other guidance in assigned area(s) of law.
- Overseeing employment litigation conducted by GCO assigned attorneys who are representing the agency in administrative litigation and other proceedings, including assisting in Federal court proceedings.
- Developing pertinent portions of the United States Attorneys' Manual and/or the United States Attorneys' Policies and Procedures
- Initiating and maintaining liaison and effective communications with EOUSA management, United States Attorneys and their staff, Department officials and other federal agencies.
Applicants MUST possess a J.D. Degree,
Be an active member of the bar* (any jurisdiction), and Have been a supervisory attorney for three or
*You must include your bar membership information in your application package to beconsidered .
To qualify at the GS-15 grade level applicants must have at least 5 years post J.D. legal or other relevant experience to qualify. Qualifying experience is defined as experience with at least three of the following areas: Standards of Conduct and Ethics,Federal Employment Law, Equal Employment Law, and/or Administrative Law.
The ideal candidate will have at least three years of experience as a supervisory attorney, although five years is preferred. In addition, the ideal candidate will haveat least 10 years post J.D. legal or relevant experience in at least three of the legal areas listed above; demonstrate sound judgment, leadership ability, and a strong work ethic. Significant litigation experience and detailed knowledge of the mission, organization, statutory obligations, functions, procedures, practices and priorities of the Department of Justice, EOUSA and the USAOs is desirable.
Please apply via:https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/490627500.