The Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR) seeks highly-qualified individuals to join our team of expert professionals in becoming a part of our challenging and rewarding Agency. The primary mission of the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR) is to adjudicate immigration cases by fairly, expeditiously, and uniformly interpreting and administering the Nation's immigration laws. Under delegated authority from the Attorney General, EOIR conducts immigration court proceedings, appellate reviews, and administrative hearings. EOIR consists of three adjudicatory components: The Office of the Chief Immigration Judge, which is responsible for managing the Immigration Courts where Immigration Judges adjudicate individual cases; the Board of Immigration Appeals, which primarily conducts appellate reviews of these Immigration Judge decisions; and the Office of the Chief Administrative Hearing Officer, which adjudicates immigration-related employment cases.
This position is located in the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR), Office of the General Counsel.
As a Supervisory Attorney Advisor (FOIA), duties will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop policies and establish procedures concerning implementation of the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) program for the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR).
- Oversee FOIA operations and provide advice to headquarters staff on FOIA and relevant statutes.
- Perform the full range of supervisory functions for a staff of Government Information Specialist and Contractors.
- Plan, organize, assign, and review priorities before advising the General Counsel; provide guidance and make decisions on complex legal areas and controversial matters.
- Provide the Deputy General Counsel and/or General Counsel with current information regarding work operations; identify new developments; and participate in decisions regarding the operations of the office.
- Prepare written reports and memoranda for the signature of the General Counsel and the Director on a variety of legal issues.
- Carry out assignments involved in legal and policy areas as well as litigation, including but not limited to, FOIA and Privacy Act cases, participating in every aspect of case strategy, discovery, and trial preparation.
In order to qualify for the Supervisory Attorney Advisor (FOIA), GS-15 position, you must meet ALL of the following minimum qualifications by the closing date of announcement:
A. Applicants must have a LL.B. or J.D. degree and be an active member of the bar, duly licensed and authorized to practice law as an attorney under the laws of a U.S. state, territory, Puerto Rico, or the District of Columbia (include the date of your admission to the bar).
B. Applicants must possess at least four (4) years post-J.D. legal experience.
You must submit a complete application package by 11:59 PM (EST) on Friday, May 13, 2016. You may apply online or fax in your documents. Applying online is the quickest and most convenient way to process your application and track your status. To begin the online process, follow these steps:
1. Click the Apply Online button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the Occupational Questionnaire. You must click the Submit My Answers button at the end of this process.
2. To fax supporting documents that you are unable to upload, complete this cover http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf and use the following Vacancy Identification Number: 1668893; fax your documents to 1-(478)-757-3144. You can verify that your uploaded documents are attached to your application by checking the Details tab of your Application Manager account for this vacancy announcement. Your documents will display under the Details tab in the Document area. Faxed documents will take 2-3 business days to process. Documents submitted with missing information may not be processed. NOTE: To return to a previously Saved or Incomplete application you may use the following link: https://applicationmanager.gov.
If you cannot apply online, follow these steps:
Print a copy of this vacancy announcement.
Click the following link to view and print the Assessment Questionnaire, View Occupational Questionnaire.
Print the OPM Form 1203-FX, in order to provide your responses to the Assessment Questionnaire. You may obtain the form by using this URL link, http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/OPM1203fx.pdf. You may omit any optional information; however, you must provide responses to all required questions.
Fax the completed 1203-FX form, resume, and supporting documents to 1-(478)-757-3144. Your 1203-FX form will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission. Faxed documents will take 2-3 business days to process. Documents submitted with missing information may not be processed.