The functions assigned to the AAG/A are enumerated in Title 28 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Subpart O. JMD is functionally organized into 22 staffs, generally each staff has both a policy and a service roles. Within the Division, 19 staffs with specialized functions and related areas of responsibility are grouped under one of four Deputy Assistant Attorneys General as follows:
- Deputy Assistant Attorney General Controller: Budget staff, Finance staff, Procurement Services Staff, Asset Forfeiture Management Staff, and Office of Small and Disadvantaged Business Utilization.
- Deputy Assistant Attorney General, Information Resources Management: Telecommunications Services Staff, Information Management and Security Staff, Computer Services Staff, and the Systems Technology Staff.
- Deputy Assistant Attorney General, Human Resources/Administration: Facilities and Administrative Services Staff, Personnel Staff, Equal Employment Opportunity Staff, Library Staff, and the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, Executive Support Staff, Consolidated Administrative Office, and the Employee Assistance Program.
- Deputy Assistant Attorney General, Law and Policy: Management and Planning Staff, Security and Emergency Planning Staff, Audit Liaison Office, Department Ethics Office, and the Office of General Counsel.
- Deputy Assistant Attorney General, Debt Collection Management.
[cited in USAM 1-2.207]