The mission of this initiative is to protect overburdened and underserved communities from the harm caused by environmental crimes, pollutions, and climate change. The U.S. Attorney’s Office will work closely with the Department of Justice’s Office of Environmental Justice, the United States Environmental Protection Agency, state and local agencies, and community advocates to secure environmental justice for all communities, to ensure that everyone enjoys the same degree of protection from environmental and health hazards, and to protect equal access to a healthy environment in which to live, learn, play, and work.
The Department of Justice enforces the Nation’s civil and criminal environmental laws, including the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, and hazardous waste laws. U.S. Attorney Harris encourages residents to contact the U.S. Attorney’s Office and notify the Environmental Justice Coordinator of potential violations of environmental, health, and safety laws.
To learn more about the Department of Justice’s Office of Environmental Justice, please visit https://www.justice.gov/oej.
Reporting Environmental Violations:
|Contact the US Attorney's Office of the Central District of Illinois:|
US Attorney's Office, Central District of Illinois
|Phone Number:||(217) 492-4450|
Contact Our Federal Agency Partners:
- For concerns about workplace conditions including chemicals or noxious fumes:
- Contact the Occupational Safety and Health Administration at (800) 321-6742
- For concerns regarding pesticides harming wildlife:
- Contact the United States Fish and Wildlife Service at (800) 344-9453
- For concerns about possible harm to wetlands:
- To report an Oil or Chemical spill:
- Contact the National Response Center at (800) 424-8802
- For concerns about discriminatory environmental and health impacts caused by recipients of federal funds:
- Call DOJ Civil Rights at (888) 848-5306