Skip to main content
Press Release

Connecticut Resident Admits Violating Sex Offender Registration Laws

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Connecticut

John H. Durham, United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut, announced that ISIAH DUNCAN, 36, pleaded guilty today before U.S. District Stefan R. Underhill in Bridgeport to violating the Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act.

The Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act (“SORNA”), which was passed by Congress in 2006 as part of the Adam Walsh Act, provides a comprehensive set of minimum standards for sex offender registration and notification in the U.S. and seeks to strengthen the nationwide network of sex offender registration and notification programs.  In part, SORNA requires registered sex offenders to register and keep their registration current in each jurisdiction in which they reside, work, or go to school.

According to court documents and statements made in court, Duncan has two convictions, in 2013 and 2014, for New York Class A misdemeanor sex offenses that required him to register as a sexual offender.  In September 2014, Duncan registered with the New York Sex Offender Registry (“NYSOR”).  In December 2015, after an address verification letter that NYSOR sent to Duncan was returned as undeliverable, Duncan was convicted in New York state court of failing as a sex offender to report a change in address/status.  On December 17, 2015, Duncan completed a NYSOR change of address form for his new address in New York.

On August 24, 2018, Duncan was arrested at his girlfriend’s apartment in Stamford on an unrelated Connecticut warrant.  At the time of his arrest, Duncan possessed a Connecticut Department of Social Services card in his name that was issued in August 2017, and a “Park City Resident” card from the City of Bridgeport with his name, photo, date of birth, and a Bridgeport address.  Duncan had failed to notify NYSOR of his change of residence and never contacted the Connecticut Sex Offender Registry.

The investigation further revealed that Duncan received Connecticut medical and food assistance while residing in Stamford and Bridgeport.

Judge Underhill scheduled sentencing for August 16, 2019, at which time Duncan faces a maximum term of imprisonment of 10 years.

Duncan is released on a $50,000 bond pending sentencing.

This matter is being investigated by the U.S. Marshals Service and prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Hal Chen.

Updated May 24, 2019