Skip to main content
Press Release

Danbury Man Who Embezzled $1.1 Million Sentenced to 41 Months in Federal Prison

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Connecticut

John H. Durham, United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut, announced that ANTHONY TEIXEIRA, 51, of Danbury, was sentenced today by U.S. District Judge Vanessa L. Bryant to 41 months of imprisonment, followed by three years of supervised release, for embezzling $1.1 million from his employer.

Pursuant to the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act), the court proceeding occurred via videoconference.

According to court documents and statements made in court, for more than 25 years, Teixeira was employed by Joseph Merritt & Company (“JMC”), a Hartford-based printing company.  Teixeira most recently oversaw the JMC branch located in Danbury.  Between approximately January 2012 and February 2019, Teixeira defrauded JMC and its customers by presenting sales orders, or test sales orders, to customers as though they were actually invoices.  Customers, believing they were paying JMC for the work, then delivered payments into accounts that Teixeira controlled.  Teixeira also stole printing-related inventory from JMC inventory and sold it online, but manipulated invoices to deceive JMC’s systems into thinking the company had sold the inventory.  The loss attributable to Teixeira through these schemes is approximately $1.1 million.

Judge Bryant ordered Teixeira to make full restitution in an amount that is still to be determined.

Teixeira was arrested on a federal criminal complaint on December 12, 2019, and was subsequently released on a $50,000 bond.  He has been detained since June 1, 2020, after Judge Bryant determined that Teixeira had violated the conditions of his release and revoked his bond.  An investigation revealed that Teixeira spent more than $48,000 while released on bond, in violation of court-imposed restrictions on his financial activity.

On July 24, 2020, Teixeira pleaded guilty to one count of wire fraud.

This investigation was conducted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and Danbury Police Department.  The case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorneys John T. Pierpont, Jr. and Amanda S. Oakes.

Updated November 12, 2020

Financial Fraud