Skip to main content
Press Release

Hartford Man Sentenced To 45 Months In Federal Prison For Illegally Possessing Ammunition

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Connecticut

Deirdre M. Daly, Acting United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut, today announced that ORLANDO NEALEY, 29, formerly of Willimantic and Hartford, was sentenced on Wednesday, July 3, by United States District Judge Robert N. Chatigny in Hartford to 45 months of imprisonment, followed by three years of supervised release, for illegally possessing ammunition.

According to court documents and statements made in court, on July 16, 2012, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) received information from the Hartford Police Department’s Shoot Team regarding five individuals who had purchased ammunition from a sporting goods store in East Hartford the previous day.  All five of the individuals, including NEALEY, were convicted felons.  The investigation revealed that NEALEY and others had purchased one box of 9mm ammunition, one box of .38 Special ammunition and one box of .45 Auto ammunition.  Each of the boxes contained 50 rounds.

The investigation further revealed that the individuals stored firearms and ammunition in the basement of a residence on Pliny Street in Hartford.  A court-authorized search of the residence revealed most of the ammunition that had been purchased on July 15, 2012, as well as a loaded 9mm handgun, a loaded .38 caliber revolver, a loaded pistol grip shotgun, and additional rounds of ammunition.

NEALEY has been detained since his arrest on July 20, 2012.  On April 17, 2013, he pleaded guilty to one count of possession of ammunition by a previously convicted felon.

NEALEY’s criminal history includes felony convictions for sale of illegal drugs, possession of narcotics, larceny, burglary and violation of a protective order.

This matter is being investigated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the Hartford Police Department, with the assistance of the East Hartford Police Department.  The case is being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Geoffrey M. Stone.


Tom Carson
(203) 821-3722

Updated March 18, 2015