Skip to main content
Press Release

Hartford Man Sentenced to More Than 8 Years in Federal Prison for Role in Drug Ring

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Connecticut

John H. Durham, United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut, announced that GERARD BROWN, also known as “Goldie,” 38, of Hartford, was sentenced today by Senior U.S. District Judge Alfred V. Covello in Hartford to 100 months of imprisonment, followed by five years supervised release, for his role in a cocaine and crack cocaine distribution ring.

According to court documents and statements made in court, this matter stems from an investigation headed by the FBI’s Northern Connecticut Violent Crimes Task Force and the Hartford Police Department that targeted a drug trafficking organization operating in Hartford’s North End.  The investigation revealed that David Gil-Grande, of Manchester, received shipments of cocaine, secreted in sealed coffee cans, from Puerto Rico.  He then supplied the cocaine to BROWN, Anthony “Pretty” Shelton, who is BROWN’s brother, and Trevon “B.J.” Terry.  BROWN, Shelton and Terry then converted much of the cocaine into crack and distributed both forms of the drug in the area of Barbour Street in Hartford.

Twenty individuals were charged and convicted as a result of the investigation.

BROWN has been detained since his arrest on January 21, 2016.  On that date, a search of BROWN’s Kensington Street residence revealed items used to process and package narcotics for street sale, and a search of BROWN’s person revealed $2,693 in cash.

On April 10, 2017, BROWN pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute 500 grams or more of cocaine

BROWN has forfeited the cash that was seized from him at the time of his arrest.

BROWN’s criminal history includes state firearm and drug convictions, and a robbery conviction for which he was sentenced to 18 years of incarceration, suspended after seven years. 

Gil-Grande, Shelton and Terry previously pleaded guilty to related charges.  On January 31, 2017, Gil-Grande was sentenced to 70 months of imprisonment, on December 18, 2017, Terry was sentenced to 57 months of imprisonment and, on August 7, 2018, Shelton was sentenced to 110 months of imprisonment.

This matter was investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Northern Connecticut Violent Crimes Task Force, which includes members of the Hartford Police Department, East Hartford Police Department, Connecticut State Police and Connecticut Department of Correction.  The Hartford Police Department’s Vice and Narcotics Division and the Drug Enforcement Administration have provided valuable assistance to the investigation. 

This case is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Brian P. Leaming.

Updated August 22, 2018

Drug Trafficking