You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of Connecticut

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Two Men Involved In Hartford Drug And Gun Trafficking Are Sentenced

Deirdre M. Daly, Acting United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut, today announced that two Hartford men involved in narcotics and firearms trafficking have been sentenced in New Haven federal court.

JEFFREY FANIEL, 31, was sentenced today by U.S. District Judge Janet C. Hall to 92 months of imprisonment, followed by five years of supervised release.  On January 2, 2013, FANIEL pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute and to distribute 28 grams or more of cocaine base (“crack”).

JOHNNY ROSA, also known as “Johnny J,” 20, was sentenced yesterday by Judge Hall to 36 months of imprisonment, followed by three years of supervised release.  On November 9, 2012, ROSA pleaded guilty to one count of transferring a firearm to a prohibited person.

This matter stems from “Operation Vinefield,” a joint law enforcement investigation headed by the FBI’s Northern Connecticut Violent Crimes Task Force targeting narcotics trafficking and gang violence in Hartford’s North End.  As a result of the nine-month investigation, 38 individuals were charged with various offenses related to the distribution of crack cocaine and the unlawful possession and dealing of firearms in and around Hartford.

According to court documents and statements made in court, FANIEL supplied crack cocaine to Jaeqwan Sheppard, who sold the drug in the Enfield Street area of Hartford.  The investigation also revealed that Sheppard sold firearms that he had acquired from ROSA through another co-conspirator.

In addition, between December 2011 and April 2012, ROSA sold a .308 caliber rifle, a .22 caliber rifle and a .25 caliber pistol, as well as quantities of crack and powder cocaine, to an individual working with law enforcement.

The .308 caliber rifle had been reported stolen from a residence in East Hartford in July 2011.

Sheppard pleaded guilty and, on May 1, 2013, he was sentenced to 108 months of imprisonment.

This matter has been investigated by the FBI’s Northern Connecticut Violent Crimes Task Force, the Connecticut State Police, the Hartford Police Department, and the Connecticut Department of Correction.  The case is being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Brian P. Leaming.


Tom Carson
(203) 821-3722

Updated March 18, 2015