You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of Connecticut

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Waterbury Woman Pleads Guilty To Failing To Register As A Sex Offender, Violating Supervised Release

Deirdre M. Daly, United States Attorney for the District of Connecticut, announced that GUITANA JONES, 42, formerly of Waterbury, pleaded guilty today before U.S. District Judge Stefan R. Underhill in Bridgeport to one count of failing to register as a sex offender.  JONES also admitted to violating the conditions of her supervised release from a previous federal conviction.

According to court documents and statements made in court, in October 2003, JONES was sentenced in federal court to 120 months of imprisonment, followed by three years of supervised release, for conspiracy and use of an interstate facility to transmit information about a minor.  Also, in June 2007, she was given a concurrent sentence in state court of risk of injury to a minor and conspiracy to commit risk of injury to a minor.  JONES was released from federal prison in May 2010.

As a convicted sex offender, JONES was told that she was required to register and update her registration under the Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act (“SORNA”).  Convicted sex offenders must update their address within five days of any move, re-registering in any state to which they move, and verifying their current address with local law enforcement every 90 days.  Prior to her release on federal supervision, JONES was told that crossing state lines without registering in the new state or notifying Connecticut of her change of address could result in federal prosecution for failure to register.

In September 2011, JONES requested the Court’s permission to move from Connecticut to Florida.  In March 2012, her request was denied and JONES was told that she was not permitted to move to Florida while on federal supervised release.

In May 2013, the U.S. Probation Office learned that JONES had moved to Florida and, at times, had traveled back to Connecticut to avoid detection of her supervised release violation.  JONES also tested positive for cocaine use.  On June 10, 2013, U.S. Marshals arrested JONES for violating her supervised release.  She has been detained since her arrest.

The investigation revealed that, in September 2012, JONES obtained a Florida identification card after providing an address in Miramar, Fla.  She also possessed and used a cellular telephone with a Florida area code while residing in Florida between February and April 2013.  The Florida Sex Registry has no record of JONES ever applying to register as a sex offender. 

When she is sentenced, JONES faces a maximum term of imprisonment of 10 years for failing to register and update a registration as required by SORNA, and a maximum term of imprisonment of two years for violating her supervised release.

This matter was investigated by the United States Marshals Service and is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Peter S. Jongbloed.


Tom Carson
(203) 821-3722

Updated March 18, 2015