You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of Columbia

Friday, September 9, 2016

District Man Pleads Guilty to Sexually Assaulting His Daughter

Defendant Sexually Abused Girl in the District and in Maryland

            WASHINGTON – A 48-year-old man, of Washington, D.C., pled guilty today to one count of first-degree sexual abuse with aggravating circumstances and one count of incest for his sexual abuse of his daughter, U.S. Attorney Channing D. Phillips announced.

            The man, who is not identified here to protect the privacy of the victim, pled guilty in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia. The plea, which is contingent upon the Court’s approval, calls for a sentence within the applicable sentencing guidelines range, which is to be determined. As part of the plea agreement, prosecutors in Baltimore and in Prince George’s County, Md. agreed not to bring charges against the defendant for sexual assaults on his daughter that occurred in their jurisdictions. The Honorable José M. Lopez set a hearing for Nov. 15, 2016 to determine whether the plea and sentence will be accepted.

            According to the government’s evidence, the sexual abuse began in 2004, when the victim was approximately 12 years old. According to the victim, between approximately September 2004 and July 2006, the defendant was living in Washington, D.C. She stayed with him at that location frequently, and the sexual abuse took place nearly every night. The defendant bought her special items, let her stay up late, and gave her special privileges. He said that it was her fault that they engaged in sexual intercourse because she seduced him.

            When the victim was approximately 14, the defendant moved out of the District of Columbia. When the victim was between 14 and 16, the defendant resided in Prince George’s County and in Baltimore County. During that time period, the defendant continued to sexually abuse the victim at his residence on a routine basis. The defendant also had sex with the victim at his work place. The abuse stopped when the victim was approximately 16 years old. The victim estimated that, in total, the defendant had sex with her approximately 200 to 300 times.

            The victim filed a police report in 2011 with respect to the sexual abuse, but was not ready to participate in the criminal investigation until February 2016. In February 2016, the criminal investigation was reopened. As part of that investigation, the victim engaged in a recorded one-party consent call with the defendant on March 25, 2016. During that call, the victim and the defendant engaged in a sexually explicit and graphic conversation about the defendant’s actions. The defendant continued to engage in a graphic and sexually explicit conversation regarding him having sexual intercourse with the complainant on a future date. The man was arrested on April 18, 2016, and has been in custody ever since.

            In announcing the plea, U.S. Attorney Phillips praised the work of detectives from the Metropolitan Police Department’s Youth Investigations Division, which investigated the case, and the U.S. Marshal’s Service, who located and arrested the defendant. He acknowledged the efforts of those who worked on the case from the U.S. Attorney’s Office, including Paralegal Specialist Joyce Arthur and Victim/Witness Advocate Tracey Hawkins. Finally, he commended Assistant U.S. Attorney Elana Suttenberg, who investigated and prosecuted this case.

Press Release Number: 
Updated September 12, 2016