Skip to main content
Press Release

District Man Sentenced to 31 Years in Prison for Murder of a Senior Citizen in Northeast Washington

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Columbia
Victim Knocked Down During Attempted Robbery and Died From Injuries

            WASHINGTON –Tyrone Williams, 52, of Washington, D.C., was sentenced today to 31 years in prison for first-degree felony murder of a senior citizen and other charges in a mid-day attempted robbery that took place in Northeast Washington, announced U.S. Attorney Matthew M. Graves and Robert J. Contee III, Chief of the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD).

            Williams was found guilty by a jury on June 8, 2022, following a trial in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia. The jury also found him guilty of attempted robbery of a senior citizen. He was sentenced by the Honorable Marisa J. Demeo to 30 years in prison on the murder charge and an additional year for committing the offense while on supervised release.  A two-year sentence for the attempted robbery runs concurrently with the other time. Following his prison term, he will be placed on five years of supervised release. At the time of the murder, he was on supervised release for being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm.

            According to the government’s evidence, at 11:45 a.m. on March 29, 2020, Bobby Poole Jr. 81, was walking home after going on his daily mile-long walk to a convenience store. On his way home, in the 900 block of Eastern Avenue NE, Mr. Poole was knocked down by Williams and a second unknown assailant. The two went through his pockets. Mr. Poole hit his head on a metal fence during the robbery, suffering brain injuries. He died on May 6, 2020, from complications of blunt force trauma to the head

            Surveillance video from the convenience store shows Williams had been casing Mr. Poole and the convenience store and following him afterwards. The attack is not shown on video, but a civilian witness, who had just run into Williams at the store, saw Williams and the second assailant fleeing the area where Mr. Poole was found. Williams was located at the convenience store afterwards and is identified through surveillance video.

            Williams was arrested on March 29, 2020. He has been in custody ever since.

            In announcing the sentence, U.S. Attorney Graves and Chief Contee commended the work of those who investigated the case from the Metropolitan Police Department. They acknowledged the efforts of those who worked on the case from the U.S. Attorney’s Office, including Assistant U.S. Attorneys Gauri Gopal, Chimnomnso Kalu, and Daniel Lenerz, Paralegal Specialist Grazy Rivera, Lead Paralegal Specialist Tasha Harris, Supervisory Victim/Witness Advocate Jennifer Clark, Investigative Analyst Zachary McMenamin, and Litigation Technology Supervisor Leif Hickling and Litigation Technology Specialist Paul Howell. 

            Finally, they commended the work of Assistant U.S. Attorneys Brian Ganjei and Ariel Dean, who investigated and prosecuted the case.


Updated September 9, 2022

Violent Crime
Press Release Number: 22-285