Skip to main content
Press Release

District Man Sentenced to 40 ½-Year Prison Term for Killing Man in Navy Yard Area of Southeast Washington

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Columbia
Victim Shot in Broad Daylight; Second Victim Also Struck by Gunfire

            WASHINGTON –Babajide Pittman, 33, of Washington, D.C., was sentenced today to a 40 ½-year prison term on first-degree murder while armed and other charges for a mid-day shooting in Southeast Washington on Thanksgiving weekend of 2016, announced U.S. Attorney Jessie K. Liu and Peter Newsham, Chief of the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD).

            Pittman was found guilty by a jury in October 2018 of murder, assault with intent to kill while armed, and related firearms offenses. The verdict followed a trial in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia. He was sentenced by the Honorable Danya A. Dayson.

            According to the government’s evidence, on Nov. 27, 2016, at approximately 1 p.m., Pittman was standing on the corner of 7th and L Streets SE, outside the U.S. Marine Corps Barracks Annex.  The homicide victim, Anthony Young, Jr., was the passenger in a car being driven by his girlfriend. They were headed to a friend’s house nearby.  Pittman and Mr. Young knew each other, and had been in a prior argument.  Mr. Young got out of the car and argued on the sidewalk with Pittman for about two minutes.

            When Mr. Young opened the passenger door of the car to leave, Pittman ran up behind him and fired 12 shots into the car.  Mr. Young was struck eight times, in the back, arm, and legs, and his girlfriend was struck once in the leg. 

            Mr. Young, 27, died within minutes of being shot.  His girlfriend was transported to Howard University Hospital, where she was treated for the gunshot wound.  She sustained permanent nerve damage in her foot. 

            Pittman fled the area on foot.  He was arrested early the following morning, and has been held in custody since. 

            Personnel from the U.S. Marine Corps assisted the victims and the responding police officers from the Metropolitan Police Department and U.S. Capitol Police.

            A homeowner who lived down the street from the shooting had a Nest surveillance system, with audio and high-definition video, that captured the shooting.  This video was instrumental in investigating and prosecuting the case. This prosecution reflects the value of the District of Columbia’s Private Security Camera Incentive Program, which encourages residents to install security cameras to assist law enforcement. 

            In announcing the sentence, U.S. Attorney Liu and Chief Newsham commended the work of those who investigated the case from the Metropolitan Police Department. They also expressed appreciation for the assistance provided by the U.S. Capitol Police, the Metro Transit Police Department, the U.S. Marshals Service, the Capital Area Regional Fugitive Task Force, and the District of Columbia Department of Forensic Sciences. They acknowledged the efforts of those who worked on the case form the U.S. Attorney’s Office, including Assistant U.S. Attorney John Mannarino, Paralegal Specialist Sharon Newman, Lead Paralegal Specialist Meridith McGarrity, Victim/Witness Advocate Diana Lim, Supervisory Victim/Witness Advocate Jennifer Clark, Litigation Technology Specialist Leif Hickling, Victim/Witness Services Coordinator Katina Adams-Washington, and intern Cara Clark. 

            Finally, they commended the work of Assistant U.S. Attorneys Jeffrey Nestler and Seth Gilmore, who investigated and prosecuted the case.


Updated March 22, 2019

Violent Crime
Press Release Number: 19-35