Skip to main content
Press Release

Man Who Assaulted His Paramour is Sentenced to 15 Years on Firearms Offenses

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Columbia

            WASHINGTON – Barrington Hart, 36, of Washington, D.C., was sentenced to 180 months in prison for two assaults on his romantic partner in July 2023. The announcement was made by U.S. Attorney Matthew Graves and Chief Pamela Smith, of the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD).

            Hart was sentenced today by Superior Court Judge Jason Park to 15 years in prison, and five years of supervised release, for two counts of assault with a dangerous weapon (firearm), two counts of possession of a firearm during a crime of violence, one count of assault with significant bodily injury while armed, two counts of obstruction of justice, one count of threats, one count of unlawful possession of a firearm (prior conviction), one count of simple assault, and one count of carrying a pistol without a license.  The sentence followed a trial by the court where Judge Park found Hart guilty of these charges on March 15, 2024.

            According to the government’s evidence, Hart and the victim were in a previous romantic relationship, broke up, and then reunited for four days when, on July 27, 2023, they got into an argument over the victim’s phone. Hart accused the victim of cheating on him and wanted to look through her phone. After she refused, he became angry, retrieved a black and yellow gun, and hit the victim on the head with it, causing a laceration. Instead of taking her to a hospital for her injury, Hart made the victim come with him to a job interview while her head was still bleeding. She later went to the hospital alone and had the wound treated with nine staples to the top of her head. On August 4, 2023, less than a week after the victim reported the assault to the Metropolitan Police Department, the victim called the police again and reported that the night before, Hart started an argument about her seeing other people, slapped her, and pointed the same black and yellow firearm at her. Police arrested Hart on August 4, 2023, and he has been detained since that date.

            After arrest, Hart continued to attempt to control the victim. He instructed her, twice, over Department of Corrections Video Visits, to refrain from testifying in the grand jury. Also, while incarcerated, Hart threatened the victim via numerous text messages, calling her names and using profanity.

            In announcing the sentence, U.S. Attorney Graves and Chief Smith commended the work of those investigating the case from the Metropolitan Police Department. They acknowledged the efforts of those who worked on the case from the U.S. Attorney’s Office, including Assistant U.S. Attorney Bryan Han, Paralegal Tiffany Jones, Victim/Witness Advocate Tracey Hawkins, and Victim/Witness Service Coordinator Shanika McCullough. Finally, they commended the work of Assistant U.S. Attorneys from the Domestic Violence unit, Callie Hyde and Katharine Yaske, who investigated and prosecuted the case.

Updated June 7, 2024

Firearms Offenses
Violent Crime