Sarah McClellan, Chief
The Victim Witness Assistance Unit provides assistance to victims and witnesses of serious crime while they are involved with the criminal justice system. Unit Staff will also help victims understand how the criminal justice system works and assist with restitution and services. We have a staff of 26 professionals who provide assistance in the following areas:
- Crisis Intervention
- Referrals to human service, medical and other helping agencies
- Court Accompaniment
- Special services for child victims, the elderly, and handicapped victims
- Information on court proceedings and case status
- Language interpretation services
- Crime victims compensation claims assistance
- Help with victim impact statements
- Assistance with travel and lodging for out of town witnesses
Crime Victim Services
The Victim Witness Unit provides a variety of resources and support to victims of crime while they are involved in the justice system.
Crime victims have rights under both Federal law and District of Columbia law. These laws guarantee rights and privileges to victims of crime.