Skip to main content

Environmental Justice & Public Health

The U.S. Department of Justice enforces the Nation’s civil and criminal environmental laws, including the Clean Air Act, the Safe Drinking Water Act, the Endangered Species Act, the Ocean Dumping Act, and hazardous waste laws. We also protect natural resources and handle cases relating to tribal rights and resources.

Working with our U.S. Department of Justice partners, the U.S. Attorney’s Office seeks to secure environmental justice for all communities, to ensure that everyone enjoys the same degree of protection from environmental and health hazards and equal access to a healthy environment in which to live, learn, play, and work.

U.S. Attorney Michael Easley encourages residents to contact the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of North Carolina in conjunction with contacting local, state, or federal agency hotlines or websites to report environmental, health and safety concerns. Notifying our Office helps us protect the community from harmful violations of federal health & safety laws.


Who to Contact

The Department of Justice and all 94 United States Attorneys are tasked with enforcing federal law with respect to the environment.  You can do your part by notifying the U.S. Attorney's Office about environmental justice concerns to help us protect the community from harmful violations of federal law.

  • If the violation impacts:
    • Air quality
    • Climate Change
    • Chemicals and Toxic Substances
    • Health impact of environmental conditions
    • Land, waste, and cleanup
    • Water

Report the violation to the Environmental Protection Agency


  • If the violation concerns workplace conditions such as chemicals or noxious fumes, contact the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) at: 1-800-321-6742 


  • If the violation concerns land or water pollution caused by animal agriculture, powerplants, or other industrial operations, contact the North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality at 1-877-623-6748


  • If the violation concerns pesticides harming Wildlife, contact the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service at 1-800-344-9453


  • If the violation concerns the destruction of Wetlands, contact your local district branch of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ Office at 1-800-832-7828


  • If the violation concerns medications, cosmetics, biological products, and other products for human consumption, contact the FDA at 1-888-463-6332


  • To report an Oil or Chemical Spill, contact the National Response Center at 1-800-424-8802


Updated October 31, 2022