Skip to main content
Press Release

Goldsboro Man Sentenced To 120 Months For Drug And Firearm Charges

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Eastern District of North Carolina

RALEIGH – United States Attorney Thomas G. Walker announced that in federal court today, Senior United States District Judge W. Earl Britt sentenced SHAWNTANNA LEMARUS THOMPSON, 27, of Goldsboro, to 120 months imprisonment followed by 3 years of supervised release.  On August 3, 2015, THOMPSON pleaded guilty to possession with intent to distribute a quantity of marijuana and to felon in possession of a firearm charges.

On August 8, 2014, a Goldsboro Police Officer responded to a call about a subject who was waving a gun in the air.  Upon his arrival, the officer observed THOMPSON, who matched the subject’s description.  Upon seeing the officer, THOMPSON quickly stood up and walked away.  With his back to the officer, THOMPSON reached into his waistband and retrieved a revolver which he threw into nearby bushes.  The officer located the revolver which was a loaded Smith & Wesson, .38 special revolver.  The officer also recovered 11 grams of marijuana and 98 small baggies from THOMPSON’S person.  Once at the jail facility, additional marijuana was located on THOMPSON.

 On October 17, 2014, a Goldsboro Police Officer responded to a disturbance call in Goldsboro.  As the officer approached the scene, he heard multiple gunshots and observed THOMPSON standing with his hand behind his back.  As the officer passed, THOMPSON moved his hands to the front of his body and the officer noticed the butt of a handgun in THOMPSON’S hand.  The officer exited his vehicle and ordered THOMPSON to stop and to show his hands.  THOMPSON fled from the officer.  The officer searched the path where THOMPSON was running and found a loaded Radom P35 9mm handgun which had the serial number scratched off.

Investigation of this case was conducted by the Goldsboro Police Department and by the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives.  Assistant United States Attorney S. Katherine Burnette prosecuted the case for the government.

Updated November 2, 2015