You are here

Crime Victims Compensation

If you are a victim who was injured during a crime you may be eligible to file a claim with the PENNSYLVANIA CRIME VICTIM’S COMPENSATION BOARD (CVCB) for uninsured or unreimbursable medical expenses, if any. The CVCB accepts claims for unreimbursed medical expenses and/or loss of wages that are incurred as a direct result of a crime.


  • The crime must have occurred in Pennsylvania.
  • The crime must have been reported to the proper authorities (police/hospital) within 72 hours of the incident or a Protection from Abuse Order was filed within three days.
  • You must have incurred at least $100.00 of unreimbursed medical expenses and/or loss of wages as a direct result of the incident.
  • You must cooperate with law enforcement authorities.
  • You must file your claim within one (1) year of the date of the incident, or 2 years if you can show good cause.


  • Medical Expenses - Medical, dental and other expenses related to the injury (including physical therapy, medications, home health care, medical equipment and transportation costs to medical and counseling appointments).
  • Counseling - If a crime results in death, the spouse, children, parents or siblings who, at the time of the crime, lived in the same house as the victim are eligible for compensation for counseling expenses. In other crimes, compensation for counseling covers only the victim.
  • Loss of Earnings or Support - If deprived of earnings as a result of injury received in a crime incident, the victim may be paid for such loss provided all requirements are met. If deprived of support due to the death of a victim as a result of a crime incident, you may be eligible for compensation.
  • Loss of Benefits - If Social Security, veteran’s retirement, railroad retirement, pensions/retirement, disability, or court ordered child/spousal support is the main source of income and the loss occurs through robbery, assault, rape, homicide, kidnapping or burglary, you may be compensated within certain limits.
  • Funeral Expenses - If you paid or are liable to pay the funeral bill for a deceased victim, you may be compensated for loss, within certain limits.
  • Crime-scene Cleanup
  • Relocation Assistance

The maximum claim allowed by law is $ 35,000. Compensation for lost earnings may not exceed $15,000 and for loss of support in the event of the victim’s death $20,000.

Victims Compensation Program
Office of Victims’ Services
Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency
P. O. Box 1167
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

(800) 233-2339 or (717) 783-5153

Fax (717) 787-4306

Pamphlet: Financial Assistance for Victims of Crime
Panfleto: Ayuda financiera para las victimas de crimenes

Updated December 19, 2014

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?
Yes No