You are here

The United States Attorney's Office

Eastern District of Pennsylvania


If you are a victim who was injured during a crime, you may be eligible to file a claim with the Pennsylvania Crime Victim’s Compensation Board (CVCB) for medical expenses which are uninsured or otherwise unable to be reimbursed. CVCB accepts claims for medical expenses, loss of wages, or other expenses that were incurred as a direct result of a crime.


In order to be eligible for Crime Victim’s Compensation, certain conditions must be met:

  • The crime must have occurred in Pennsylvania.
  • The crime must have been reported to the proper authorities (police/hospital) within 72 hours of the incident or a Protection from Abuse Order was filed within three days.
  • You must have incurred at least $100.00 of unreimbursed medical expenses and/or loss of wages as a direct result of the incident.
  • You must cooperate with law enforcement authorities.
  • you must file your claim within one year of the date of the incident, or two years if you can show good cause.


  • Medical Expenses - Medical, dental and other expenses related to the injury (including physical therapy, medications, home health care, and medical equipment)
  • Counseling - If a crime results in death, the spouse, children, parents and siblings who, at the time of the crime, lived in the same house as the victim are eligible for compensation for counseling expenses. In other crimes, compensation for counseling covers only the victim.
  • Transportation - Transportation costs will be reimbursed for travel to medical and counseling appointments related to the injury.
  • Loss of Earnings or Support - If deprived of earnings as a result of injury received in a crime incident, the victim may be paid for such loss, provided all requirements are met. If deprived of support due to the death of a victim as a result of a crime incident, you may be eligible for compensation.
  • Loss of Benefits - If Social Security, veteran's retirement, railroad retirement, pensions/retirement, disability, or court ordered child/spousal support is the main source of income and the loss occurs through robbery, assault, rape, homicide, kidnapping or burglary, you may be compensated within certain limits.
  • Funeral Expenses - If you paid or are liable to pay the funeral bill for a deceased victim, you may be compensated for that loss, within certain limits.
  • Crime Scene Cleanup
  • Relocation Assistance


The maximum claim allowed by law is $35,000. Compensation for loss of earnings may not exceed $15,000, and compensation for loss of support in the event of the victim's death may not exceed $20,000.

For further information on the Pennsylvania Crime Victim's Compensation program, please contact:

Victim's Compensation Program
Office of Victims' Services
Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency
P.O. Box 1167
Harrisburg, PA 17108-1167

Telephone: (800) 233-2339
                   (717) 783-5153

Fax: (717)787-4306

Updated December 15, 2014

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?
Yes No