Skip to main content

Environmental Justice and Public Health

Ensuring safe living and working conditions for our community is a priority in the Middle District of Florida. Notifying the U.S. Attorney's Office about environmental justice concerns helps us ensure that the community is protected against harmful violations of federal law and insures all our citizens have a voice in environmental enforcement.

The U.S. Department of Justice enforces the Nation’s civil and criminal environmental laws, including the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, and hazardous waste laws. We also protect natural resources and handle cases relating to tribal rights and resources.

Working with our U.S. Department of Justice partners, the U.S. Attorney’s Office seeks to secure environmental justice for all communities, to ensure that everyone enjoys the same degree of protection from environmental and health hazards and equal access to a healthy environment in which to live, learn, play, and work.

The U.S. Attorney encourages residents to contact the U.S. Attorney’s Office at (813) 574-3502 or by email in conjunction with contacting local, state, or federal agency hotlines or websites to report environmental, health and safety concerns. Notifying our Office helps us protect the community from harmful violations of federal health and safety laws.


Who to Contact

If the violation impacts air quality, climate change, chemicals and toxics, health, land, waste and cleanup, or water report the violation to the Environmental Protection Agency

If the violation concerns workplace conditions such as chemicals or noxious fumes, contact the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) at 1-800-321-6742.

If the violation concerns the illegal harming or harassing of wildlife, contact the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service at (321) 861-0667.

If the violation concerns pesticides harming wildlife, contact the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service at 1-800-344-9453.

If the violation concerns the destruction of wetlands, contact your local district branch of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ Office at 1-800-832-7828.

If the violation concerns medications, cosmetics, biological products, and other products for human consumption, contact the FDA at 1-888-463-6332.

To report an oil or chemical spill, contact the National Response Center at: 1-800-424-8802.

Updated January 27, 2023