Skip to main content

Environmental Justice

Environmental Justice & Public Health

Ensuring safe living and working conditions for our entire community is a priority in the Middle District of Louisiana.  Notifying the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Middle District of Louisiana about environmental justice concerns helps us protect the community from harmful violations of federal law.

Background Information:

The U.S. Department of Justice enforces the Nation’s civil and criminal environmental laws, including the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, and hazardous waste laws.  We also protect natural resources and handle cases related to tribal rights and resources.  Through collaborations with our U.S. Department of Justice partners, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Middle District of Louisiana seeks to secure environmental justice for all communities to ensure that everyone enjoys the same degree of protection from environmental and health hazards and equal access to a healthy environment.

Contact Information for the U.S. Attorney’s Office:

U.S. Attorney Ron Gathe encourages residents to contact the U.S. Attorney’s Office by email at and to contact local, state, or federal agency hotlines or websites to report environmental, health, and safety concerns. 

Contact Information for Federal Agency Partners:

Report violations to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) if it impacts:

  • Air Quality
  • Climate Change
  • Chemicals and Toxins
  • Health
  • Land, Waste, and Cleanup
  • Water

EPA’s Contact information:

Report violations concerning workplace conditions such as chemicals or noxious fumes to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) at: 1-800-321-6742.

Report violations concerning pesticides harming Wildlife to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service at: 1-800-344-9453.

Report violations concerning the destruction of Wetlands to your local district branch of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ Office at: 1-800-832-7828.

Report violations concerning medications, cosmetics, biological products, and other products for human consumption to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) at: 1-888-463-6332.

Report Oil or Chemical Spills to the National Response Center at: 1-800-424-8802.

Report concerns about discriminatory environmental and health impacts caused by recipients of federal funds to DOJ Civil Rights at: 1-888-848-5306.

Updated October 3, 2022