Some of the cases we have successfully prosecuted include:
- Tawfiq Islamic Center On March 8, 2017, Daniel George Fisher was sentenced to 12 months in prison for threatening to blow up the Tawfiq Islamic Center. The handwritten letter included profanities, racial and ethnic slurs, and other derogatory commentary about the religious and cultural practices of the members of the Tawfiq Islamic Center.
- St. Anthony Lawsuit On August 27, 2014, the United States filed a lawsuit to enforce Abu-Huraira Islamic Center’s constitutional rights under the Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act of 2000 (RLUIPA) and require the City of St. Anthony Village to allow Abu-Huraira’s religious assembly. The United States’ complaint alleged that denial of the permit imposed a substantial burden on Abu-Huraira’s exercise of religious worship. Moreover, the denial unlawfully disfavored a religious use, because the light industrial district where Abu-Huraira’s building is located allowed other, non-religious assemblies.
- St. Anthony Settlement On December 16, 2014, the Department of Justice and the City of St. Anthony Village announced a settlement agreement resolving the city’s alleged RLUIPA violation. The agreement granted to the Abu-Huraira Islamic Center a conditional use permit (CUP) to use the basement of the St. Anthony Business Center for religious assembly.
- Greenbrier Settlement On March 20, 2015, the United States reached a settlement agreement with the Greenbrier Village Homeowner’s Association, Inc. (Greenbrier) and Gassen Company, Inc. (Gassen) resolving a lawsuit filed on November 25, 2013. The lawsuit alleged that Greenbrier and Gassen unlawfully discriminated against residents with children by issuing and enforcing rules regarding the use of common areas at the Condominiums of Greenbrier Village.
- Section 8 Settlement On September 16, 2015, the United States reached a settlement agreement with a Twin Cities landlord to resolve an alleged violation of the False Claims Act by charging Section 8 tenants illegal side payments.
Updated July 13, 2017