Skip to main content
Press Release

Brandon Lee Brauhn Pleads Guilty In U.S. Federal Court

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Montana

The United States Attorney's Office announced that during a federal court session in Great Falls, on February 25, 2013, before U.S. District Judge Sam E. Haddon, BRANDON LEE BRAUHN, a 23-year-old resident of Cut Bank and an enrolled member of the Blackfeet Tribe, pled guilty to burglary. Sentencing has been set for June 10, 2013. He is currently detained.

In an Offer of Proof filed by Assistant U.S. Attorney Ryan G. Weldon, the government stated it would have proved at trial the following:

On October 6, 2012, the victim went to bed at approximately 7:00 p.m. at his residence in Seville, which is within the exterior boundaries of the Blackfeet Indian Reservation. The victim went to bed alone and no one lives in his apartment with him.

At approximately 2:00 a.m., on October 7, 2012, the victim awoke to the sound of his door being kicked open. The victim then heard BRAUHN's voice. The victim turned on his bedroom light, and he saw BRAUHN enter the bedroom. According to the victim, BRAUHN had a knife, which was described as a "steak knife with a serrated edge." BRAUHN then began yelling, "I should just ......... kill you." BRAUHN also told The victim to "stay away from my mom."

The victim and BRAUHN's mother had previously been in a romantic relationship. That relationship turned sour and ended in physical violence. When law enforcement ultimately arrived at the victim's residence, the victim's face was bloody, blood was present on the bed where the victim was sleeping, and a knife was discovered in the residence. The blood on the bed and knife was determined to be the blood of the victim Moreover, the victim had minor lacerations to his hands.

When law enforcement arrived, BRAUHN stated, "I did this because of my mom." BRAUHN also stated that he did not cut the victim, but that the victim must have stabbed himself.

BRAUHN faces possible penalties of 20 years in prison, a $250,000 fine and 3 years supervised release.

The investigation was conducted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Updated January 14, 2015