You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
Northern District of Ohio

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Norwalk man sentenced to 20 years in prison for sex trafficking after fraudulently inducing teen girls into engaging in sexually explicit conduct

A Norwalk man was sentenced to 20 years in prison for fraudulently inducing teen girls into engaging in sexually explicit conduct and recording the conduct under the false promise that he was producing a pornographic film.

Charles Thomas Barbarotta, 33, previously pleaded guilty to two counts of sex trafficking of a minor.

Barbarotta used fraud to cause two minors to engage in commercial sex acts in December 2016. 

Barbarotta also used a scheme to induce the two minor victims into performing sex acts with him for what he fraudulently purported would be a pornographic film he would produce or direct, according to court documents.

“This man misrepresented himself to trick two underage girls,” U.S. Attorney Justin Herdman said. “This case is a cautionary tale for teens and parents alike. This sentence means the defendant will not be able to prey on minors anymore, but we know there are others out there like him.”

“We are pleased  this child predator will be behind bars for a significant amount of time,” said FBI Special Agent in Charge Stephen D. Anthony.

The investigating agency in this case is the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Ottawa, Huron and Erie County Sheriff’s Offices.  The case is being handled by Assistant U.S. Attorney Tracey Ballard Tangeman.          

Topic(s): 
Human Trafficking
Component(s): 
Contact: 
Mike Tobin 216.622.3651 michael.tobin@usdoj.gov
Updated November 14, 2018