Skip to main content
Press Release

Fort Worth Man Convicted by Federal Jury of Being a Felon in Possession of a Firearm

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Northern District of Texas

FORT WORTH — Following a two-day trial before U.S. District Judge Reed C. O’Connor, a federal jury convicted Terry Dixon, 42, of Arlington, earlier this week of one count of felon in possession of a firearm and ammunition, announced U.S. Attorney John Parker of the Northern District of Texas.


The possession count carries a maximum statutory penalty of 10 years in federal prison. Dixon has been in custody since his arrest in September 2016. Sentencing is set for August 14, 2017.


According to evidence presented at trial, on September 15, 2016, Arlington Officers were dispatched to an East Abram Street bar where Dixon was causing a disturbance in the parking lot with a firearm. As Officers arrived, they saw Dixon sitting in a white four-door Cadillac in the bar’s parking lot. Officers ordered Dixon to get out of his car multiple times. Dixon got out of his car and began walking in the parking lot with one hand in his pocket. Officers lost sight of him for a few seconds before regaining sight of him and ordered Dixon to get his hand out of his pocket. Dixon refused. The Officers warned Dixon that if he continued to disobey their commands, they would deploy a Taser to gain compliance. Due to Dixon’s continued non-compliance and the potential firearm threat, Officers deployed a Taser, which allowed them to subdue Dixon and safely detain him.


While detained, Dixon told the Officers he had .357 Magnum gun in his car and claimed to have a permit for it. Unable to find a gun in his car, the Officers searched the area where they had lost sight of Dixon, and observed a bar stool behind a gate and fence. A Taurus, .357 caliber revolver, loaded with five (5) rounds of .357 magnum ammunition was located on the roof of the building. The Officers checked Dixon’s background and learned he was a convicted felon. They placed Dixon under arrest for unlawful firearm possession and a search uncovered thirteen rounds of Armscorp .357 magnum ammunition in his pocket, which matched the ammunition in the revolver.


The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives investigated. Assistant U.S. Attorneys Frank Gatto and Shawn Smith prosecuted.


# # #

Updated April 28, 2017

Firearms Offenses