You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of New Hampshire

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Nashua Man Sentenced to 27 Months in Prison for Failing to Register as a Sex Offender

            Concord - United States Attorney Scott W. Murray announced that Thomas William Hickey, 34, of Nashua was sentenced on Tuesday to serve 27 months in prison for failing to register as a sex offender.

            According to statements made in court, Hickey was convicted in Florida in 2003 of lewd or lascivious molestation of a 12-year-old girl.  As a result of that conviction, he was required by law to register as a sex offender.  After his release from prison, Hickey later registered as a sex offender in Florida and Massachusetts.

            In July of 2017, the Nashua Police Department reported to the United States Marshals Service (USMS) that it had received a tip that Hickey was a sex offender who had been living in Nashua for a period of months without registering.  The USMS confirmed with Massachusetts authorities that Hickey was in fact a sex offender who had been living in Massachusetts.  The Massachusetts authorities were unaware that Hickey had moved to New Hampshire.

            Hickey later was interviewed by a Deputy U.S. Marshal and a Nashua Police Detective and admitted that he had moved to New Hampshire in 2017 because he did not want people to know he was a sex offender.

            Hickey previously pleaded guilty to this offense on February 6, 2018.  After serving his prison sentence, he will be on supervised release for five years.

            “Maintaining the safety of our children is a primary objective of the U.S. Attorney’s Office.” said U.S. Attorney Murray.  “By aggressively prosecuting sex offenders who fail to comply with their registration obligations, we are attempting to protect our community’s children from being victimized.  I am grateful to the United States Marshals Service and the Nashua Police Department for locating this individual who sought to prevent the public from learning about his status as a sex offender.”

            “This investigation was a combined effort between the New Hampshire Joint Fugitive Task Force and the Nashua NH Police Department.  Since the inception of the New Hampshire Joint Fugitive Task Force in 2002, these partnerships have resulted in over 7,029 arrests,” said Chief Deputy Brenda Mikelson of the USMS. “These arrests have ranged in seriousness from murder, assault, unregistered sex offenders, probation and parole violations and numerous other serious offenses. Nationally the USMS fugitive programs are carried out with local law enforcement in 94 district offices, 85 local fugitive task forces, 8 regional task forces, as well as a growing network of offices in foreign countries.”

           This case was investigated by the USMS and the Nashua Police Department.  The case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Arnold Huftalen.

 

###

Component(s): 
Press Release Number: 
18-104
Updated June 13, 2018