Skip to main content
Press Release

Mexican National Sentenced to 96 Months in Prison for Armed Robbery of a McDonald’s Restaurant in New Mexico

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of New Mexico

ALBUQUERQUE – Pablo Salgado-Cervantes, 25, a Mexican national illegally residing in Albuquerque, N.M., was sentenced today in federal court to 96 months and one day in prison for violating the Hobbs Act and federal firearms laws by brandishing a firearm during an armed robbery of a McDonald’s restaurant on Sept. 3, 2014.  Salgado-Cervantes will be deported after completing his prison sentence.

Salgado-Cervantes was charged on Sept. 4, 2014, in a criminal complaint with robbing the McDonald’s restaurant located at 5900 Menaul NE in Albuquerque at gunpoint on three separate occasions:  July 1, 2014, July 9, 2014 and Sept. 3, 2014.  The criminal complaint also charged him with robbing the McDonald’s restaurant located at 8315 Montgomery Blvd. NE in Albuquerque at gunpoint on July 9, 2014.

On Jan. 21, 2015, Salgado-Cervantes was charged in a five-count indictment with four counts of violating the Hobbs Act by robbing a business involved in interstate commerce and one count of brandishing firearms during crimes of violence. 

Salgado-Cervantes was arrested on the federal charges on Feb. 9, 2015, after he was transferred into federal custody from state custody where he was facing related state charges.  The state charges were subsequently dismissed in favor of federal prosecution.

On Aug. 19, 2015, Salgado-Cervantes pled guilty to Counts 4 and 5 of the indictment.  In entering his guilty plea, Salgado-Cervantes admitted that on Sept. 3, 2014, he robbed the McDonald’s restaurant located at 5900 Menaul NE.  He also admitted brandishing a firearm to coerce an employee to give him money from the safe.  Salgado-Cervantes further admitted hitting the employee with the butt of his firearm before fleeing from the restaurant with the cash he stole.

This case was investigated by the Albuquerque office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the Albuquerque Police Department with assistance from the 2nd Judicial District Attorney’s Office.  Assistant U.S. Attorney Presiliano Torrez prosecuted the case.

Updated November 19, 2015