Skip to main content
Press Release

Non-Native Man From Albuquerque Sentenced to Prison for Assaulting a Tribal Officer on Taos Pueblo

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of New Mexico

ALBUQUERQUE – Dallas Chase Barth, 22, of Albuquerque, N.M., was sentenced this afternoon to 27 months in federal prison followed by two years of supervised release for assaulting an Indian with a dangerous weapon on Aug. 28, 2013, in Taos Pueblo.

Barth was arrested on Aug. 29, 2013, based on a criminal complaint charging him with assault with a dangerous weapon.  According to court filings, on Aug. 28, 2013, Barth took a van belonging to a U.S. Postal Service contractor that contained U.S. mail from outside a convenience store in Espanola, N.M., and led officers from several law enforcement agencies on a high speed chase to Taos Pueblo.   Barth continued speeding through Taos Pueblo lands pursued by two tribal police officers in marked police vehicles. 

Barth’s escapade ended when he drove to a dead end, made a U-turn, and began driving at a high rate of speed towards the two tribal officers who were standing by their parked police vehicles.  One of the tribal officers had to jump out of the way in order to avoid being hit by Barth’s van and the other tribal officer, a member of the Turtle Mountain Chippewa Tribe, narrowly escaped injury by moving towards the rear of his police vehicle.  Shortly thereafter, Barth was arrested after crashing the van.

On Oct. 24, 2013, Barth pled guilty to an assault with a deadly weapon charge.  In his plea agreement, Barth admitted leading a high speed chase that began in Espanola and ended in Taos Pueblo while driving recklessly and at high speeds as he attempted to flee from officers from several law enforcement agencies.  Barth further admitted driving towards two tribal officers, including one who is a member of a federally recognized Indian tribe, at a high rate of speed with the intention of causing bodily harm to them without any justification or excuse.

This case was investigated by the Santa Fe office of the FBI and the Northern Pueblos Agency of the BIA’s Office of Justice Services with assistance from the Taos Pueblo Department of Public Safety, the New Mexico State Police, Taos County Sheriff’s Office and Rio Arriba Sheriff’s Office, and was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Niki Tapia-Brito.

Updated January 26, 2015