Skip to main content
Press Release

Former Crater Lake Chef Sentenced to 18 Months Prison for Fighting Park Rangers

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Oregon

MEDFORD, Ore. - On Tuesday, January 13, 2015, Senior U.S. District Judge Owen M. Panner sentenced John Charles Saubert, 47, to 18 months in federal prison for forcibly resisting federal officers.  Saubert will be on three years of supervised release after he completes his prison term.

On September 23, 2014, Saubert was terminated as a cook with Xanterra Parks and Resorts at Crater Lake National Park due to excessive alcohol and performance issues.  During a shuttle ride back to his dorm, Saubert was disturbing other riders and allegedly fondled a woman’s leg after being told to stop.  Park rangers and the Xanterra manager contacted Saubert at his dorm room and warned that Saubert would be allowed to remain on the premises until the next day, but only if he remained in his dorm room.

Approximately 10 minutes later, the park rangers observed Saubert staggering outside and being very loud.  When the rangers told Saubert he was under arrest, Saubert responded, “I’m not going without a fight.”  Saubert jerked his hand away from a ranger’s grasp, hitting the ranger in the face, and shoved another ranger against the patrol car.  Saubert was wrestled to the ground but continued to fight despite the officers’ commands to stop resisting.   One ranger suffered bruised knees as a result of the fight.  After rangers placed Saubert in a patrol car, Saubert continued screaming profanities, banging his head against the window, and threatening to kill the officers and their families.

At Saubert’s initial federal court appearance the next day, he was released from custody and required to re-appear a week later.  Saubert failed to appear, and an arrest warrant was issued.  The U.S. Marshal’s tracked Saubert to a luxury resort in southern Utah, where he began working as a chef.  The U.S. Marshal’s arrested Saubert on October 5th and transported him back to Oregon.

This case was investigated by the Crater Lake Park Rangers and the U. S. Marshal’s Service, and was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Douglas W. Fong.

Updated February 5, 2015