You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of South Dakota

Friday, September 16, 2016

Bullhead Man Sentenced for Assault Resulting in Serious Bodily Injury

United States Attorney Randolph J. Seiler announced that a Bullhead, South Dakota, man convicted of Assault Resulting in Serious Bodily Injury was sentenced on September 12, 2016, by U.S. District Judge Charles B. Kornmann.

Parrish Antelope, age 20, was sentenced to 19 months in custody, followed by 3 years of supervised release, and a $100 special assessment to the Federal Crime Victims Fund.

Antelope was indicted by a federal grand jury on October 14, 2015.  He pled guilty on June 6, 2016.

The conviction stemmed from an incident on September 5, 2015, when Bureau of Indian Affairs law enforcement was dispatched to Little Eagle, South Dakota, in response to a call of an intoxicated male trying to start a fight.  Antelope opened the door, then staggered back to the kitchen. 

Law enforcement informed Antelope that they had received a call about him trying to start fights.  Antelope stated that if he wanted to start a fight, he would have a long time ago.  The homeowner and another female entered the kitchen and stated that she wanted him arrested for beating up her boyfriend, the victim.  The ladies informed law enforcement that the victim’s forehead was split open and they believed he needed stitches.

Antelope began yelling at the ladies and told law enforcement that he had assaulted the victim for leaving him in town.  Antelope also stated to law enforcement that he struck the victim with his fist and elbow. 

Law enforcement then proceeded to meet with the victim, who had a hole in the center of his forehead extending out in a star pattern to the size of a 50 cent piece with the skin deeply ripped.  The victim indicated he was sleeping in the basement when he heard a loud commotion, and he was struck on the head.  The victim then got up and chased Antelope out of the basement to the main level.  When he reached the top of the stairs, the victim noticed he was bleeding badly and went to the bathroom to tend to his injuries. 

This case was investigated by the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Standing Rock Agency.  Assistant U.S. Attorney Troy R. Morley prosecuted the case.

Antelope was immediately turned over to the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service.

Indian Country Law and Justice
Updated September 16, 2016