Skip to main content
Press Release

Rapid City Man Sentenced for Assaulting Federal Officers and Discharging a Firearm During a Crime of Violence

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of South Dakota

United States Attorney Randolph J. Seiler announced that a Rapid City, South Dakota, man convicted of Assaulting Federal Officers and Discharging a Firearm During and in Relation to a Crime of Violence was sentenced on May 22, 2017, by U.S. District Judge Roberto A. Lange.

Linn Jacob Cross Dog, III, age 23, was sentenced to 240 months in prison, followed by 5 years of supervised release, restitution in the amount of $840.60, and a special assessment to the Federal Crime Victims Fund in the amount of $300.

Cross Dog was indicted by a federal grand jury on May 17, 2016. He pled guilty on March 7, 2017.

The conviction stems from a series of events that occurred in May 2016 on the Rosebud Sioux Indian Reservation. At approximately 1:00 a.m., on the morning of May 11, 2016, a Rosebud Sioux Tribe Police Officer initiated a traffic stop of a vehicle with a headlight out near Parmelee, South Dakota. While the officer was speaking to the driver outside of the vehicle, a second officer arrived and walked a drug detector canine around the vehicle. canine alerted to a rear passenger door of the vehicle. Cross Dog, who had been seated in a passenger seat, climbed into the driver’s seat and told the remaining passengers, two women and two small children, that they were coming with him. He then drove away. While he was driving, Cross Dog produced a handgun, brandished it at the passengers, and put the gun in his mouth.

The police officers pursued Cross Dog’s vehicle at speeds up to 90 mph. After several minutes, Cross Dog turned onto a gravel road and stopped. He exited the vehicle and fled on foot with the handgun. The officers pulled up and continued their pursuit on foot. One of the officers eventually caught up to Cross Dog, who was ignoring commands to stop, and struck Cross Dog with his baton. Cross Dog turned and fired his handgun at the officer, wounding the officer in the forearm. The officers returned fire, but could not locate Cross Dog in the thick brush where he was hiding. Unable to see Cross Dog, the officers withdrew and sought medical attention for the wounded officer. Cross Dog escaped on foot. The wounded officer was taken by ambulance to Cherry County Hospital in Valentine, Nebraska, and then by air ambulance to Rapid City Regional Hospital in Rapid City. As a result of the shooting, he suffered life-threatening blood loss and a shattered ulna.

On May 12, 2016, Cross Dog was charged by criminal complaint in U.S. District Court with Assault with a Dangerous Weapon, and a warrant was issued for his arrest.

On May 13, 2016, law enforcement received information that Cross Dog was at a house in Parmelee, and went there to arrest him. Agents from the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the U.S. Marshals Service entered the house behind a ballistic shield and located Cross Dog sleeping in a bedroom, with his hand on a handgun. Cross Dog ignored commands to show his hands and not move, and instead turned over in the bed and put his hand between the bed and the wall. Believing Cross Dog was reaching for a gun, the agents rushed forward and pinned Cross Dog to the bed. Cross Dog was subsequently arrested. A loaded handgun, which was later determined to be the same gun he shot the police officer with, was found in his possession. Cross Dog, who had been awake and injecting methamphetamine for six days straight prior to shooting the police officer, will also forfeit ownership of the handgun as part of his sentence.

The case was investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Rosebud Sioux Tribe Law Enforcement Services, the U.S. Marshals Service, and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Numerous additional agencies were involved in the search for Cross Dog between May 11 and 13, 2016, including the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Rosebud Sioux Tribe Game, Fish and Parks Department, South Dakota Highway Patrol, South Dakota National Guard, South Dakota Division of Criminal Investigation, Mellette County Sheriff’s Office, Stanley County Sheriff’s Office, and the Pierre Police Department. Assistant U.S. Attorney Kirk Albertson prosecuted the case.

Cross Dog was immediately remanded to the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service.

Updated May 24, 2017

Violent Crime