Skip to main content
Press Release

Wakpala Man Sentenced For Assault Resulting In Serious Bodily Injury And Sexual Abuse Of A Minor

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of South Dakota

Acting United States Attorney Randolph J. Seiler announced that a Wakpala, South Dakota, man convicted of Assault Resulting in Serious Bodily Injury and four counts of Sexual Abuse of a Minor was sentenced on May 15, 2015, by U.S. District Judge Charles B. Kornmann.  The convictions were the result of a jury trial held in Pierre in September of 2014.

Stoney End Of Horn, age 37, was sentenced to 293 months in custody, 5 years of supervised release, and a $500 special assessment to the Federal Crime Victims Fund.

The assault conviction stemmed from an incident that occurred in September 2008 near Wakpala, when End Of Horn assaulted the victim on a rural road. The 2008 assault caused multiple facial fractures and internal injuries to the victim’s brain. The surgeon that repaired the victim’s face described the bones as “busted up so bad they were like a bag of potato chips.”  Eventually, injuries from the assault caused the victim to have a cerebellar infarction on February 9, 2010.  The evidence at trial established that the victim never recovered from the cerebellar infarction and died at Triumph Long-Term Care Hospital in Mandan, North Dakota, on June 25, 2010.

The sexual abuse convictions arose from incidents in 2010 when End Of Horn, who had previously been convicted in South Dakota State Court for Possession, Manufacturing, and Distributing Child Pornography, engaged in repeated sexual acts with a minor victim he was caring for in Wakpala.  The young victim considered End Of Horn to be a father figure.

This case was investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Standing Rock Agency, the National Park Service, and the Mobridge Police Department.  The case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S.  Attorneys Troy R. Morley and Mikal Hanson.

End Of Horn was immediately turned over to the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service to begin serving his sentence.

Updated June 22, 2015