Skip to main content
Press Release

Jury Finds Tennessee Man Guilty For Failure To Register As A Sex Offender

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Southern District of Illinois

Ronald Douglas, a 59-year old Memphis, Tennessee, man was found guilty on September 17, 2014, in federal district court, in East St. Louis, Illinois, for failure to register as a sex offender, the United States Attorney for the Southern District of Illinois, Stephen R. Wigginton, announced today. Douglas will be sentenced on January 23, 2015.

The violation occurred in 2012, when Douglas moved from Illinois to Tennessee, after signing an Illinois Sex Offender Registration Act Notification Form on January 9, 2012, requiring him to either update his sex offender registration in Illinois to reflect his change of address, or register as a sex offender in Tennessee within three days. Douglas had been previously convicted of Aggravated Criminal Sexual Abuse on June 5, 1992, and July 8, 1999 in Madison County, Illinois.

“The Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act serves the important purpose of allowing persons to be aware of sex offenders who might be living in their neighborhoods. I am pleased that this federal jury rightfully recognized the importance of this concept in finding this offender guilty of not complying with the law.” said United States Attorney Wigginton.

This case was brought as part of Project Safe Childhood, a nationwide initiative to combat the growing epidemic of child sexual exploitation and abuse launched in May 2006 by the Department of Justice. Led by United States Attorneys’ Offices and the Criminal Division's Child Exploitation and Obscenity Section (CEOS), Project Safe Childhood marshals federal, state and local resources to better locate, apprehend and prosecute individuals, who sexually exploit children, and to identify and rescue victims. For more information about Project Safe Childhood, please visit For more information about internet safety education, please visit and click on the tab “resources.”

The case was investigated by the United States Marshals Service and prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorneys Daniel T. Kapsak and Nathan D. Stump

Updated February 19, 2015