Skip to main content
Press Release

Michigan Man Pleads Guilty To Failure To Register As A Sex Offender

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Southern District of Illinois

On March 6, 2013, Andrew C. Henley, a twenty-five year old Michigan man, pled guilty in Federal District Court, in East St. Louis, to Failure to Register as a Sex Offender, the United States Attorney for the Southern District of Illinois, Stephen R. Wigginton, announced today. Henley is scheduled for sentencing on July 15, 2013. He faces a term of imprisonment of not more than ten (10) years, a fine of up to $250,000, or both, a term of supervised release of five (5) years to life of supervised release after his prison term, and a mandatory special assessment of $100.

Henley was required to register as a sex offender under both Illinois law and the federal Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act (SORNA) because he was convicted of Aggravated Criminal Sexual Abuse on September 30, 2005, in Madison County, Illinois. After registering as a Sex Offender in the State of Illinois on July 11, 2011, Henley traveled to the State of Michigan. He was required to register as a sex offender in the State of Michigan or update his registration with the State of Illinois within three days of his move. Henley admitted that he knowingly failed to comply with either of these requirements after traveling in interstate commerce, thus violating SORNA.

This case was brought as part of Project Safe Childhood, a nationwide initiative launched in May 2006 by the Department of Justice to combat the growing epidemic of child sexual exploitation and abuse. Led by the United States Attorneys’ Offices and the Criminal Division’s Child Exploitation and Obscenity Section, Project Safe Childhood marshals federal, state, and local resources to locate, apprehend, and prosecute individuals who sexually exploit children, and to identify and rescue victims. For more information about Project Safe Childhood, please visit For more information about internet safety education, please visit and click on the tab “resources.”

The case was investigated by the United States Marshal Service. The case is assigned to Assistant United States Attorney Daniel T. Kapsak.

Updated February 19, 2015