Skip to main content
Press Release

Former Park Tudor coach sentenced in sexual coercion case

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Southern District of Indiana
Cox enticed a 15 year old student for the purposes of sexually exploiting

Indianapolis – United States Attorney Josh J. Minkler announced today the sentencing of a former Park Tudor School coach and teacher after his conviction for coercion and enticement of a minor to engage in illegal sexual activity.  Kyle M. Cox, 31, Fishers, was sentenced to 168 months (14 years) imprisonment by U.S. District Judge Larry J. McKinney.

"Mr. Cox held a position of trust and authority over our young victim," said Minkler.  "He gradually groomed her over time to trust him and then exploited her for his own sexual gratification.  Protecting our youth from predators is a priority and a responsibility we hold in high regard.  Schools should be places of safety for children where they can grow, learn, and make mistakes without falling prey to teachers or coaches who turn their innocence into illegal sexual opportunity. "

Cox was a teacher of child victim 1 (CV1) beginning in the fall of 2015.  The two began talking regularly through text messaging and other social media outlets.  Their conversations began innocently enough discussing basketball, classroom subjects, and school.  Cox soon gave her a role on the basketball team he coached and soon the messaging became inappropriately sexual in nature.

Cox began conversing with CV1 via texts and Instagram, describing sexually explicit conduct.  Cox persuaded CV1 to send him sexually explicit images of herself and he would comment favorably about them.  He told CV1 that he masturbated to the images and videos she sent him.   He also sent her a picture of his genitalia.  Cox continued his illegal communications with CV1 through social media on Snapchat where Cox's user name was "Bigsilkysmooth."

 Over the months that Cox enticed and coerced CV1, he devised a plan to bring CV1 to his family’s home in Fishers so that he could have sexual contact with her while his wife and daughters were out of town.  The meeting never took place because Cox’s intentions were discovered by CV1’s parents in the days before the planned sexual misconduct.

Once Cox realized that his criminal behavior had come to light, on December 15, 2015, Cox tried to persuade CV1 to lie about their communications so that he could avoid criminal responsibility for his actions.  Cox wanted CV1 to falsely claim that she created both sides of the text message conversation, when he knew that was not true.  Cox told CV1 we would be in "a lot of trouble" if she told the truth about what had occurred.  CV1 responded she could not lie.  Cox implored CV1 to make sure that he didn't go to jail.

W. Jay Abbott, Special Agent in Charge of the Indianapolis Office of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, stated "the FBI will continue to partner with other law enforcement agencies to protect children from individuals that prey upon them".

“I applaud the efforts of the US Attorney’s Office and our detectives on the successful prosecution of Mr. Cox,” said IMPD Chief Troy Riggs.  “This case serves as a wake-up call for all parents to monitor their child’s social media activity to prevent further victimization of our youth. Those that use their position to exploit our children can expect to be vigorously investigated.”

Cox was remanded to the custody of the United States Marshal Service.  He will begin serving his sentence at the Bureau of Prisons in the very near future.

This case was investigated by the Marion County Prosecutors Office, Federal Bureau of Investigation and Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department.

According to Assistant United States Attorneys Steven D. DeBrota and Kristina M. Korobov, Cox must serve fifteen years of supervised release following his term of imprisonment.

Updated July 29, 2016